Product nameInstantBlue® Coomassie Protein Stain
DescriptionInstantBlue® Coomassie Protein Stain
InstantBlue® is a ready to use Coomassie protein stain for polyacrylamide gels. Its unique mechanism of action stains proteins in 15 minutes, while leaving a clear background eliminating the need to fix, wash or destain. Formulated for safe use and easy disposal, it’s ready to use straight out of the bottle and comes in convenient premixed one liter volumes.
The unique patented mechanism for rapid Coomassie blue staining of protein gels begins in moments, and results are achieved within 15 minutes. Some premade and traditional homemade Coomassie R-250 protein stains can take three hours or more to fully stain gels.
Note: This product is manufactured by Expedeon, an Abcam company, and was previously called InstantBlue Protein Stain (and also Optiblot Blue). ISB1L is the same as the 1000 ml size.
Why InstantBlue® Protein Stain?
There’s no need to wash, fix, microwave or destain gels when using InstantBlue™. Homemade stains often require all these steps and most premade solutions require at least one. InstantBlue uses a simple and easy to use one step protocol.
Unparalleled sensitivity allows protein levels as low as 5ng per band to be detected (BSA) when staining overnight. This is thanks to InstantBlue’s protein specific staining, which gives a clear background, improving the signal / noise ratio of the stain. Despite the staining power, gels can be left in InstantBlue for weeks and still come out with a crystal clear background, all without the need for destaining or protein stain remover.
The nontoxic formula is sink disposable and thanks to its methanol free composition will not shrink gels. Other stains require solvent disposal procedures and can require microwaving, which produces dangerous fumes. The effective staining and safe composition of InstantBlue means that there’s no need for microwaving, solvent disposal, or fume hoods.
InstantBlue will stain at least 40 mini gels per bottle, boasting economical staining with only 25ml per mini gel. As a result, this allows you to use less protein staining solution when compared to 50–100ml of stain per gel for homemade solutions and some premixed solutions.
Fully compatible with mass spectrometry, gels can be destained using standard procedures. The protein staining solution’s acetic acid free formulation means it will not methylate or acetylate protein during the protein staining protocol.
- Ultra fast staining – Results in 15 minutes or less
- One step procedure – No washing, fixing, microwaving or destaining
- High sensitivity – 5ng bands detectable
- Clear background – High signal / noise ratio
- Flexible – No overstaining
- Reliable – Stringent batch to batch consistency
- Efficient – Only 25ml per gel
- Safe composition – Nontoxic; no fume hood or solvent disposal required
- Methanol free – No gel shrinkage or protein methylation
- Acetic acid free – No protein acetylation
- Mass spectrometry compatible – Destainable. No residual methylation or acetylation
Manufactured under patent numbers : US 12/226,797 ; SG 201103010-3 ; SG 200807953-5 ; JP 2009-507182 ; IN 5722/CHENP/2008 ; GB 0608377.8 ; EP 10187154.9; EP 07733647.7 ; CN 200780021434.8 ; CA 2,649,835 ; AU 2007245443
INSTANTBLUE is a registered trademark of Expedeon Ltd in the US and an unregistered trademark elsewhere
Storage instructionsShipped at Room Temperature. Store at +4°C.
Storage bufferConstituents: 0.4% Ethanol, 15.19% Phosphoric acid, 3% α-Cyclodextrin hydrate, 0.54% Reagent G250, 0.1% Reagent R250
Concentration information loading...
- Coomassie stain
- SDS-PAGE stain
- WB stain
- Optiblot LDS Sample Buffer (4X) (ab119196)
- Optiblot SDS Run Buffer (20X) (ab119197)
- Optiblot DTT Reducer (10X) (ab119199)
- Optiblot Antioxidant (800X) (ab119200)
- Precast Gel SDS-PAGE 10% (10x10cm,12well) (ab119202)
- Precast Gel SDS-PAGE 12% (10x10cm,12well) (ab119203)
- Precast Gel SDS-PAGE 4-8% (10x10cm,12well) (ab119204)
- TEO-Tricine Precast Gels - RunBlue™ (4-20%, 12-well, 10x10cm) (ab119205)
- Precast Gel SDS-PAGE 10% (8x10cm,12well) (ab119206)
- Precast Gel SDS-PAGE 12% (8x10cm,12well) (ab119207)
- Precast Gel SDS-PAGE 4-8% (8x10cm,12well) (ab119208)
- TEO-Tricine Precast Gels - RunBlue™ (4-20%, 12-well, 8x10cm) (ab119209)
SDS-PAGE image showing molecular weight marker (MW) and His-tag recombinant protein fractions purified in Ni-NTA resin in lanes 1-5 stained with InstantBlue. InstantBlue was easy to handle and use - just pour a small amount onto your gel and within 10 minutes you can see the protein bands! No methanol and glacial acetic acid - no smell!
ab119211 has been referenced in 306 publications.
- Benz PM et al. AKAP12 deficiency impairs VEGF-induced endothelial cell migration and sprouting. Acta Physiol (Oxf) 228:e13325 (2020). PubMed: 31162891
- Pick E Cell-Free NADPH Oxidase Activation Assays: A Triumph of Reductionism. Methods Mol Biol 2087:325-411 (2020). PubMed: 31729001
- Desrames A et al. Detergent-free isolation of native red blood cell membrane complexes. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr 1862:183126 (2020). PubMed: 31738902
- Hertz MI et al. Brugia malayi galectin 2 is a tandem-repeat type galectin capable of binding mammalian polysaccharides. Mol Biochem Parasitol 235:111233 (2020). PubMed: 31738955
- Forcella M et al. Neuronal specific and non-specific responses to cadmium possibly involved in neurodegeneration: A toxicogenomics study in a human neuronal cell model. Neurotoxicology 76:162-173 (2020). PubMed: 31738976