- References (4)
Product nameIonomycin Ca2+ Salt
Biological descriptionCa2+ ionophore. Useful when calcium-dose response data are not required. Ion specificity Mn2+>Ca2+>Mg2+>Sr2+>Ba2+.
Chemical name(4R,6S,8S,10Z,12R,14R,16E,18R,19R,20S,21S)-11,19,21-Trihydroxy-4,6,8,12,14,18,20-heptamethyl-22-[(2S,2'R,5S,5'S)-octahydro-5'-[(1R)-1-hydroxyethyl]-2,5'-dimethyl[2,2'-bifuran]-5-yl]-9-oxo-10,16-docosadienoic acid calcium salt
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 25 mM and in ethanol to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Research Area
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Ca2+ signaling
- Ionophores, Indicators & Chelators
- Calcium Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab102505)
- Calcium Assay Kit (Luminometric) (ab112114)
- Calcium Assay kit (Fluorometric) (ab112115)
- Fluo-8 Calcium Assay Kit - Medium Removal (ab112128)
- Fluo-8 Calcium Flux Assay Kit - No Wash (ab112129)
- Rhod-4 Calcium Assay kit - Medium Removal No Wash (ab112156)
- Rhod-4 Calcium Assay Kit - No Wash (ab112157)
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120116 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
ab58668 staining ATF3 in A549 cells treated with ionomycin Ca2+ salt (ab120116), by ICC/IF. Increase in ATF3 expression correlates with increased concentration of ionomycin Ca2+ salt, as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 2h in media containing different concentrations of ab120116 (ionomycin Ca2+ salt) in DMSO, fixed with 4% formaldehyde for 10 minutes at room temperature and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab58668 (10 µg/ml) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-mouse polyclonal antibody (ab96879) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody. Nuclei were counterstained with DAPI and are shown in blue.
Sandwich ELISA - IFN gamma Human ELISA Kit (ab46025)
Jurkat were stimulated for 48 hours with 50 ng x mL-1 of PMA (ab120297) and 1 uM Ionomycin (ab120116) and PBMCs were stimulated for 48 hours with 2 % PHA-M (LifeTechnologies). Cell free supernatants were tested, showing results after background signal was subtracted (duplicates +/- SD).
This product has been referenced in:
- Mason MJ & Grinstein S Ionomycin activates electrogenic Ca2+ influx in rat thymic lymphocytes. Biochem J 296 ( Pt 1):33-9 (1993). Read more (PubMed: 8250855) »
- Liu C & Hermann TE Characterization of ionomycin as a calcium ionophore. J Biol Chem 253:5892-4 (1978). Read more (PubMed: 28319) »