Product nameIron Assay Kit
See all Iron kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell culture media
Sensitivity> 8 µM
Range8 µM - 400 µM
Assay time1h 00m
Iron Assay Kit ab83366 provides a simple convenient means of measuring ferrous (Fe2+) and/or ferric (Fe3+) iron in biological samples.
In the iron assay protocol, ferrous iron (Fe2+) reacts with Ferene S to produce a stable colored complex with absorbance at 593 nm. Ferric iron (Fe3+) can be reduced to form Fe2+ enabling the measurement of total iron (Fe2+ and Fe3+). The level of ferric iron (Fe3+) is calculated by subtracting ferrous iron from total iron.
A specific chelate chemical is included in the buffer to block copper ion (Cu2+) interference.
The kit measures iron in the linear range of 8 µM to 400 µM.
Iron assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- for Fe2+ assay add assay buffer only, for total iron (Fe2+ and Fe3+) add iron reducer
- incubate for 30 min at 25ºC
- add iron probe and incubate for 60 min at 25ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Iron Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Iron Probe NM 1 x 12ml Iron Reducer Green 1 x 700µl Iron Standard (100 mM) Yellow 1 x 100µl
RelevanceIron is essential to nearly all known organisms. It is generally stored in the centre of metalloproteins, in the heme complex, and in oxygen carrier proteins. Inorganic iron also contributes to redox reactions in the iron-sulfur clusters of many enzymes, such as nitrogenase and hydrogenase.
Leal SM Jr et al examined if iron availability regulates fungal growth in an infection as fungal infection intiates an iron sequestration response. Mice given Fe-dextran (Fe-Dex) and deferoxamine (Defox) shows a higher fungal mass (Fungal dsRed) compared to vehicle treated mice over 48 hours. Iron content was quantified in mouse serum using Iron assay kit (ab83366).
Iron measured in human urine showing concentration (micromolar)
Assay of soluble free iron from a soil sample (5 μL of 100 μL buffer into which 100 mg of soil had been stirred), 5 μL of FBS and 5 μL of a 100 μM sample of iron standard.
Example of iron standard curve using ab83366.
This product has been referenced in:
- Hu XB et al. Dexmedetomidine Promotes SH-SY5Y Cell Resistance Against Impairment of Iron Overload by Inhibiting NF-?B Pathways. Neurochem Res 44:959-967 (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30694428) »
- Guo YP et al. Impaired iPLA2ß activity affects iron uptake and storage without iron accumulation: an in vitro study excluding decreased iPLA2ß activity as the cause of iron deposition in PLAN. Brain Res N/A:N/A (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30707893) »