Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Other biological fluids, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 8 µM
Product nameIron Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Iron kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Sensitivity> 8 µM
Range8 µM - 400 µM
Assay time1h 00m
Iron Assay Kit ab83366 provides a simple convenient means of measuring ferrous (Fe2+) and/or ferric (Fe3+) iron in biological samples.
In the iron assay protocol, ferrous iron (Fe2+) reacts with Ferene S to produce a stable colored complex with absorbance at 593 nm. Ferric iron (Fe3+) can be reduced to form Fe2+ enabling the measurement of total iron (Fe2+ and Fe3+). The level of ferric iron (Fe3+) is calculated by subtracting ferrous iron from total iron.
A specific chelate chemical is included in the buffer to block copper ion (Cu2+) interference.
The kit measures iron in the linear range of 0.4 to 10 nmol or 8 µM to 200 µM.
Iron assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- for Fe2+ assay add assay buffer only, for total iron (Fe2+ and Fe3+) add iron reducer
- incubate for 30 min at 37ºC
- add iron probe and incubate for 60 min at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
Chinese protocol available. See protocols section below.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Iron Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Iron Probe NM 1 x 12ml Iron Reducer Green 1 x 700µl Iron Standard (100 mM) Yellow 1 x 100µl
RelevanceIron is essential to nearly all known organisms. It is generally stored in the centre of metalloproteins, in the heme complex, and in oxygen carrier proteins. Inorganic iron also contributes to redox reactions in the iron-sulfur clusters of many enzymes, such as nitrogenase and hydrogenase.
Leal SM Jr et al examined if iron availability regulates fungal growth in an infection as fungal infection intiates an iron sequestration response. Mice given Fe-dextran (Fe-Dex) and deferoxamine (Defox) shows a higher fungal mass (Fungal dsRed) compared to vehicle treated mice over 48 hours. Iron content was quantified in mouse serum using Iron assay kit (ab83366).
Iron measured in human urine showing concentration (micromolar)
Assay of soluble free iron from a soil sample (5 μL of 100 μL buffer into which 100 mg of soil had been stirred), 5 μL of FBS and 5 μL of a 100 μM sample of iron standard.
Example of iron standard curve using ab83366.
ab83366 has been referenced in 58 publications.
- Song Y et al. Human umbilical cord blood-derived MSCs exosome attenuate myocardial injury by inhibiting ferroptosis in acute myocardial infarction mice. Cell Biol Toxicol 37:51-64 (2021). PubMed: 32535745
- Zhou Y The Protective Effects of Cryptochlorogenic Acid on ß-Cells Function in Diabetes in vivo and vitro via Inhibition of Ferroptosis. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 13:1921-1931 (2020). PubMed: 32606852
- Elhassanny AEM et al. Heme-Dependent ER Stress Apoptosis: A Mechanism for the Selective Toxicity of the Dihydroartemisinin, NSC735847, in Colorectal Cancer Cells. Front Oncol 10:965 (2020). PubMed: 32626657
- Visitchanakun P et al. Gut leakage enhances sepsis susceptibility in iron-overloaded ß-thalassemia mice through macrophage hyperinflammatory responses. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 318:G966-G979 (2020). PubMed: 32308038
- Wang C et al. Dexmedetomidine alleviated sepsis-induced myocardial ferroptosis and septic heart injury. Mol Med Rep 22:175-184 (2020). PubMed: 32377745