Product nameIron Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Iron kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell culture media
Sensitivity> 8 µM
Range8 µM - 400 µM
Assay time1h 00m
Iron Assay Kit ab83366 provides a simple convenient means of measuring ferrous (Fe2+) and/or ferric (Fe3+) iron in biological samples.
In the iron assay protocol, ferrous iron (Fe2+) reacts with Ferene S to produce a stable colored complex with absorbance at 593 nm. Ferric iron (Fe3+) can be reduced to form Fe2+ enabling the measurement of total iron (Fe2+ and Fe3+). The level of ferric iron (Fe3+) is calculated by subtracting ferrous iron from total iron.
A specific chelate chemical is included in the buffer to block copper ion (Cu2+) interference.
The kit measures iron in the linear range of 0.4 to 10 nmol or 8 µM to 200 µM.
Iron assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- for Fe2+ assay add assay buffer only, for total iron (Fe2+ and Fe3+) add iron reducer
- incubate for 30 min at 37ºC
- add iron probe and incubate for 60 min at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
Chinese protocol available. See protocols section below.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Iron Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml Iron Probe NM 1 x 12ml Iron Reducer Green 1 x 700µl Iron Standard (100 mM) Yellow 1 x 100µl
RelevanceIron is essential to nearly all known organisms. It is generally stored in the centre of metalloproteins, in the heme complex, and in oxygen carrier proteins. Inorganic iron also contributes to redox reactions in the iron-sulfur clusters of many enzymes, such as nitrogenase and hydrogenase.
Leal SM Jr et al examined if iron availability regulates fungal growth in an infection as fungal infection intiates an iron sequestration response. Mice given Fe-dextran (Fe-Dex) and deferoxamine (Defox) shows a higher fungal mass (Fungal dsRed) compared to vehicle treated mice over 48 hours. Iron content was quantified in mouse serum using Iron assay kit (ab83366).
Iron measured in human urine showing concentration (micromolar)
Assay of soluble free iron from a soil sample (5 μL of 100 μL buffer into which 100 mg of soil had been stirred), 5 μL of FBS and 5 μL of a 100 μM sample of iron standard.
Example of iron standard curve using ab83366.
ab83366 has been referenced in 49 publications.
- Zhou Z et al. Intestinal SIRT1 Deficiency Protects Mice from Ethanol-Induced Liver Injury by Mitigating Ferroptosis. Am J Pathol 190:82-92 (2020). PubMed: 31610175
- Yang Y et al. Nedd4 ubiquitylates VDAC2/3 to suppress erastin-induced ferroptosis in melanoma. Nat Commun 11:433 (2020). PubMed: 31974380
- Li C et al. Circ_0008035 contributes to cell proliferation and inhibits apoptosis and ferroptosis in gastric cancer via miR-599/EIF4A1 axis. Cancer Cell Int 20:84 (2020). PubMed: 32190008
- Yambire KF et al. Impaired lysosomal acidification triggers iron deficiency and inflammation in vivo. Elife 8:N/A (2019). PubMed: 31793879
- Bleu M et al. PAX8 activates metabolic genes via enhancer elements in Renal Cell Carcinoma. Nat Commun 10:3739 (2019). PubMed: 31431624