Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 1 mU/ml
Product nameLDH Assay Kit / Lactate Dehydrogenase Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Lactate Dehydrogenase kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity> 1 mU/ml
Range1 mU/ml - 100 mU/ml
Assay time0h 30m
Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab102526 quantifies LDH activity in a variety of samples such as serum or plasma, tissue, cells, and culture medium.
In the LDH assay protocol, LDH reduces NAD to NADH, which then interacts with a specific probe to produce a color (OD max = 450 nm). The kit can detect 1 - 100 mU/mL of LDH directly in samples. The assay is quick, convenient, and sensitive.
LDH assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix
- analyze every 2-3 min for at least 30 min with microplate reader in kinetic mode at 37ºC
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K726 Lactate Dehydrogenase Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K726-500 is the same size as the 500 test size of ab102526.
To measure LDH release into cell culture medium from cultured cells in a cytoxicity experiment, we recommend LDH assay kit ab65393, which is designed specifically as a cytotoxicity assay.
This LDH assay kit ab102526 is designed in a more flexible format for use with a variety of sample types (this includes cell culture medium, and this kit may be used in cytotoxicity assays). This flexible format LDH assay kit is also available as a fluorometric LDH assay kit ab197000.
How other researchers have used LDH Assay Kit ab102526
This LDH assay kit has been used in publications in a variety of sample types, including:
- Human: serum1
- Mouse: kidney tissue2, kidney epithelial cell line lysates3, muscle tissue4, serum2,5, vaginal lavage fluid6, liver tissue7
- Rat: H8C2 cell lysates8
It has also been used in LDH release cytotoxicity cell culture assays including in human hippocampal neuronal cultures9, THP-1 cells10, primary chondrocyte cells on a membrane scaffold11, primary lymphocytes12, ovarian cancer cells co-cultured with mouse splenocytes in a cytotoxic T lymphocyte assay13
References: 1-Zhang Z et al 2018, Solivio MJ et al 2016; 2-Niles DJ et al 2018; 3-Tanner LB et al 2018; 4-Tam BT et al 2018; 5-Kim HY et al 2016; 6-Nash EE et al 2016; 7-Lai C et al 2018; 8-Zhou Z et al 2018; 9-Wang Q et al 2019; 10-Alimov I et al 2019; 11-Stocco TD et al 2019; 12-Dreisig K et al 2018; 13-Sun Y et al 2018
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 500 tests LDH Assay Buffer NM 1 x 50ml LDH Positive Control (lyophilized) Red 1 vial LDH Substrate Mix (lyophilized) Amber 1 vial NADH Standard (lyophilized) Yellow 1 vial
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Energy transfer pathways
- Energy Metabolism
PathwayFermentation; pyruvate fermentation to lactate; (S)-lactate from pyruvate: step 1/1.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in LDHA are the cause of glycogen storage disease type 11 (GSD11) [MIM:612933]. A metabolic disorder that results in exertional myoglobinuria, pain, cramps and easy fatigue.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the LDH/MDH superfamily. LDH family.
- Information by UniProt
- Cell proliferation-inducing gene 19 protein
- L lactate dehydrogenase B chain
Tam BT et al. used the LDH assay kit on mouse skeletal muscle tissue lysates comparing pressure-induced compressed and control samples across a range of knockout mice lines.
Kinetic profiles of approx 0.5 mU of a sample of pure LDH (Positive Control) and 2 μL frozen human serum using buffer as a background control.
NADH Standard Curve.
Cellular necrosis was measured as LDH release after cisplatin treatment for 24 h and 48 h using ab102526. The release of LDH was apparently increased at 24 and 48 h after cisplatin treatment.
ab102526 has been referenced in 182 publications.
- Liu K et al. Trypsin-Mediated Sensitization to Ferroptosis Increases the Severity of Pancreatitis in Mice. Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 13:483-500 (2022). PubMed: 34562639
- Feng Y et al. Pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) improve symptoms of post-ischemic stroke depression by activating VEGF to mediate the MAPK/ERK pathway. Brain Behav 12:e2450 (2022). PubMed: 34898024
- Yu Y et al. MicroRNA-665-3p exacerbates nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice. Bioengineered 13:2927-2942 (2022). PubMed: 35038955
- Alsemeh AE & Abdullah DM Protective effect of alogliptin against cyclophosphamide-induced lung toxicity in rats: Impact on PI3K/Akt/FoxO1 pathway and downstream inflammatory cascades. Cell Tissue Res 388:417-438 (2022). PubMed: 35107620
- Cao X et al. Mechanism of lncRNA SNHG16 in oxidative stress and inflammation in oxygen-glucose deprivation and reoxygenation-induced SK-N-SH cells. Bioengineered 13:5021-5034 (2022). PubMed: 35170375