Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 20 min
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
- Sensitivity: 100 cells/well
Product nameLDH-Cytotoxicity Assay Kit (Fluorometric)
See all Lactate Dehydrogenase kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Assay time0h 20m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
LDH Assay Kit (Cytotoxicity, Fluorometric) (ab197004) provides a sensitive, quick, and easy way to detect LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) released from damaged cells.
In the LDH assay, LDH converts lactate to pyruvate and NADH, which reduces a proprietary probe to an intensely fluorescent product (Ex/Em = 535/587 nm).
The amount of fluorescence is directly proportional to the number of damaged cells.
The assay is adaptable to high-throughput format and can be completed in less than 20 min. Sensitivity: ~ 100 cells. 5µl of cell culture media required per assay.
Alternative LDH assays
If you would like to use a fluorometric assay, please refer to LDH-Cytotoxicity Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab197004).
This kit is more sensitive than the colorimetric LDH Cytoxicity Assay Kit ab65391.
To measure LDH activity in sample types such as serum, plasma, and cell lysates, we recommend LDH assay kit ab102526.
Related products and guides to cytotoxicity / cell viability / proliferation assays
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 500 tests Cell Lysis Solution 1 x 5ml LDH Assay Buffer 1 x 50ml LDH Substrate Mix Amber 1 vial PicoProbe Blue 1 x 2ml Positive Control 1 x 20µl
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Energy transfer pathways
- Energy Metabolism
PathwayFermentation; pyruvate fermentation to lactate; (S)-lactate from pyruvate: step 1/1.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in LDHA are the cause of glycogen storage disease type 11 (GSD11) [MIM:612933]. A metabolic disorder that results in exertional myoglobinuria, pain, cramps and easy fatigue.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the LDH/MDH superfamily. LDH family.
- Information by UniProt
- Cell proliferation-inducing gene 19 protein
- L lactate dehydrogenase B chain
- SwissProt: Q7SI97 Other species
Untreated Jurkat cells (low control) or treated with Cell Lysis Solution for 30 min (high control).
Relative fluorescence units of untreated Jurkat cells (low control) or treated with Cell Lysis Solution for 30 min (high control).
Overnight treatment of HeLa cells with 100μM of staurosporine or 3μM of cycloheximide. LDH released into the medium was measured along with blank, untreated cells (low control), LDH Positive Control, and lysed cells (high control)
ab197004 has been referenced in 4 publications.
- Du S et al. Does Maternal Stress Affect the Early Embryonic Microenvironment? Impact of Long-Term Cortisol Stimulation on the Oviduct Epithelium. Int J Mol Sci 21:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32284519
- Sharma P et al. Cadmium exposure activates Akt/ERK Signaling and pro-inflammatory COX-2 expression in human gallbladder epithelial cells via a ROS dependent mechanism. Toxicol In Vitro 67:104912 (2020). PubMed: 32512147
- Oyama Y et al. Intense Light-Mediated Circadian Cardioprotection via Transcriptional Reprogramming of the Endothelium. Cell Rep 28:1471-1484.e11 (2019). PubMed: 31390562
- Sillman B et al. Creation of a long-acting nanoformulated dolutegravir. Nat Commun 9:443 (2018). PubMed: 29402886