Key features and details
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Plasma, Serum, Suspension cells, Tissue
Product nameLipid Extraction Kit (Chloroform Free)
Sample typeSerum, Plasma, Tissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time0h 30m
Abcam's Lipid Extraction Kit (Chloroform-Free) (ab211044) provides a chloroform-free method of lipid isolation. The recovered organic phase can be dried and resuspended for downstream lipid analysis. This protocol overcomes the difficulties of lower phase extraction and the dangers of using chloroform while resulting in highly efficient lipid extraction. Each kit provides sufficient reagents to isolate up to 50 lipid preparations based on a 25 μL sample size.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K216 Lipid Extraction Kit (Chloroform Free). K216-50 is the same size as the 50 test size of ab211044.
The term lipids describe a group of naturally occurring molecules that includes monoglycerides, diglycerides, trigylcerides, phospholipids, fat-soluble vitamins, fats and sterols. Lipids define and preserve cellular membrane integrity and play an important role in cellular processes such as membrane trafficking, signal transduction and energy storage. Dysregulation of lipid metabolism is linked to many diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Traditional lipid extraction is performed using the Folch method, in which lipids are extracted into an organic phase. Isolating lipids from this organic phase is tricky and can result in contamination with material from other phases. These contaminants may have a negative impact on downstream lipid analysis. Furthermore, the Folch method uses chloroform, which is toxic, as the organic phase solvent.
Storage instructionsStore at room temperature. Please refer to protocols.
Components 50 tests Extraction Buffer 1 x 25ml Suspension Buffer 1 x 2.5ml
- Cholesterol/Cholesteryl Ester Assay Kit - Detection (ab102515)
- Free Glycerol Assay Kit II (Colorimetric) (ab155899)
- Free Glycerol Assay Kit (Fluorometric, High Sensitivity) (ab174092)
- Triglyceride Assay Kit - Quantification (ab65336)
- Free Fatty Acid Assay Kit - Quantification (ab65341)
- Cholesterol/ Cholesteryl Ester Assay Kit - Quantitation (ab65359)
Analysis of Total Free Fatty Acid, Triglyceride and Cholesterol on Extracted Lipids using Adipocytes Cell Lysate. Comparison of Total Free Fatty Acid, Triglyceride and Cholesterol using Folch Method and Abcam’s Lipid Extraction Method.
Analysis of Total Free Fatty Acid, Triglyceride and Cholesterol on Extracted Lipids using Rat Liver Tissue. Comparison of Total Free Fatty Acid, Triglyceride and Cholesterol using Folch Method and Abcam’s Lipid Extraction Method.
ab211044 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Nuber S et al. A Stearoyl-Coenzyme A Desaturase Inhibitor Prevents Multiple Parkinson Disease Phenotypes in a-Synuclein Mice. Ann Neurol 89:74-90 (2021). PubMed: 32996158
- Qi G et al. ApoE4 Impairs Neuron-Astrocyte Coupling of Fatty Acid Metabolism. Cell Rep 34:108572 (2021). PubMed: 33406436
- Ishikura S et al. The transcriptional regulator Zfat is essential for maintenance and differentiation of the adipocytes. J Cell Biochem 122:626-638 (2021). PubMed: 33522619
- Brekk OR et al. Cell type-specific lipid storage changes in Parkinson's disease patient brains are recapitulated by experimental glycolipid disturbance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 117:27646-27654 (2020). PubMed: 33060302
- Syafruddin SE et al. A KLF6-driven transcriptional network links lipid homeostasis and tumour growth in renal carcinoma. Nat Commun 10:1152 (2019). PubMed: 30858363
- Fanning S et al. Lipidomic Analysis of a-Synuclein Neurotoxicity Identifies Stearoyl CoA Desaturase as a Target for Parkinson Treatment. Mol Cell 73:1001-1014.e8 (2019). PubMed: 30527540