Product nameLuxol Fast Blue Stain Kit (Myelin Stain)
Luxol Fast Blue Stain Kit (Myelin Stain) ab150675 is designed for staining myelin/myelinated axons and Nissl bodies on formalin fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue as well as frozen tissue. This product is used for identifying the basic neuronal structure in brain or spinal cord sections.
Luxol Fast Blue staining protocol summary:
- deparaffinze sections if necessary and hydrate in water
- incubate in Luxol Fast Blue solution for 24 hr at room temp, or 2 hr at 60ºC
- rinse in water
- differentiate by dipping in lithium carbonate solution
- differentiate further by dipping in alcohol reagent
- rinse in water
- incubate in Cresyl Echt Violet for 2-5 min
- rinse in water
- dehydrate in absolute alcohol
- clear and mount
Other products for staining tissue sections
Find more kits and reagents in the special stains guide, or products for antigen retrieval, blocking, signal amplification, visualization, counterstaining, and mounting in the IHC kits and reagents guide.
Myelinated Fibers Blue Nissil Substance Violet Nerve Cells Violet
Control Tissue: Cerebral Cortex, Spinal Cord.
Components 100 tests Alcohol reagent (70%) 1 x 500ml Cresyl Echt Violet Solution 1 x 125ml Lithium Carbonate Solution 1 x 500ml Luxol Fast Blue Solution 1 x 125ml
RelevanceMyelin is produced by oligodendrocytes in the CNS and Schwann cells in the peripheral nervous system (PNS). Defining the differences between CNS and PNS myelin may provide insights into the process of myelination and the pathogenesis of certain idiopathic diseases involving myelin such as multiple sclerosis, certain leukodystrophies, and other myelinopathies. Myelin is composed of about 80% lipid fat and about 20% protein. Some of the proteins that make up myelin are Myelin basic protein (MBP), Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) and Proteolipid protein (PLP). Myelin is made up primarily of a glycolipid called galactocerebroside. The intertwining of the hydrocarbon chains of sphingomyelin serve to strengthen the myelin sheath.
Cellular localizationIntegral membrane protein.
- MOG IG 2
- Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein
ab150675 Luxol Fast Blue Stain Kit (Myelin Stain) staining formalin-fixed-paraffin embedded mouse brain.
ab150675 (Luxol Fast Blue stain) staining myelin (blue) in formalin fixed paraffin embedded normal human cerebellum, counterstained with cresyl echt violet (purple).
*Tissue obtained from the Human Research Tissue Bank, supported by the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre.
Staining using ab150675 - Luxol Fast Blue Stain Kit.
ab150675 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Han SR et al. Differential Expression of miRNAs and Behavioral Change in the Cuprizone-Induced Demyelination Mouse Model. Int J Mol Sci 21:N/A (2020). PubMed: 31963761
- DiCostanzo NR et al. Retinal and Optic Nerve Integrity Following Monocular Inactivation for the Treatment of Amblyopia. Front Syst Neurosci 14:32 (2020). PubMed: 32587505
- Vattathara JJ et al. Substrate Specific Inhibitor Designed against the Immunomodulator GMF-beta Reversed the Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis. Sci Rep 10:3790 (2020). PubMed: 32123210
- Le SQ et al. Myelin and Lipid Composition of the Corpus Callosum in Mucopolysaccharidosis Type I Mice. Lipids 55:627-637 (2020). PubMed: 32537944
- Rassy D et al. Intranasal Methylprednisolone Effectively Reduces Neuroinflammation in Mice With Experimental Autoimmune Encephalitis. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 79:226-237 (2020). PubMed: 31886871
- Xiao R et al. Enriched environment regulates thymocyte development and alleviates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in mice. Brain Behav Immun 75:137-148 (2019). PubMed: 30287389
- Menal MJ et al. Alzheimer's Disease Mutant Mice Exhibit Reduced Brain Tissue Stiffness Compared to Wild-type Mice in both Normoxia and following Intermittent Hypoxia Mimicking Sleep Apnea. Front Neurol 9:1 (2018). PubMed: 29403429
- Wang J et al. ß-Elemene Enhances GAP-43 Expression and Neurite Outgrowth by Inhibiting RhoA Kinase Activation in Rats with Spinal Cord Injury. Neuroscience 383:12-21 (2018). PubMed: 29751054
- Evanson NK et al. Optic tract injury after closed head traumatic brain injury in mice: A model of indirect traumatic optic neuropathy. PLoS One 13:e0197346 (2018). PubMed: 29746557
- Ingwersen J et al. Nimodipine confers clinical improvement in two models of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neurochem N/A:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29473171