Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 4 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Plasma, Saliva, Serum, Suspension cells, Tissue, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.2 ng/well
Product nameMethylated DNA Quantification Kit (Colorimetric)
See all 5-methylcytosine kits
Sample typeSaliva, Urine, Serum, Plasma, Tissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Sensitivity>= 0.2 ng/well
Assay time4h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Species independent
DNA methylation is a covalent modification of the cytosine ring at the 5' position, resulting in 5-methylcytosine (5-mC). In somatic cells, 5-mC is found almost exclusively in the context of paired symmetrical methylation of the dinucleotide CpG. The biological important of 5-mC as a major epigenetic modification in phenotype and gene expression has been recognized widely. Quantification of 5-mC content or global methylation status in cells such as tumor cells could provide very useful information for detection and analysis of cancer.
Methylated DNA Quantification Kit (Colorimetric) (ab117128) is a complete set of optimized buffers and reagents to quantify global DNA methylation by specifically measuring levels of 5-methylcytosine (5-mC) in a microplate-based format.
It can be paired to use with Abcam's Hydroxymethylated DNA Quantification Kit (Colorimetric) (ab117130), which specifically quantifies 5-hmC, for simultaneous quantification of both methylated and hydroxymethylated DNA.
Storage instructionsPlease refer to protocols.
Components 48 tests 96 tests 10X Wash Buffer 1 x 14ml 1 x 28ml 8-Well Assay Strips (with Frame) 6 units 12 units Binding Solution 1 x 5ml 1 x 10ml Capture Antibody, 1000 µg/ml 1 x 4µl 1 x 8µl Detection Antibody, 400 µg/ml 1 x 8µl 1 x 16µl Developer Solution 1 x 5ml 1 x 10ml Enhancer Solution 1 x 8µl 1 x 16µl Negative Control, 20 µg/ml 1 x 10µl 1 x 20µl Positive Control, 20 µg/ml 1 x 10µl 1 x 20µl Stop Solution 1 x 5ml 1 x 10ml
- 5 mC
- 5 MethylCytosine
Demonstration of high sensitivity and specificity of methylated DNA detection achieved using ab117128. Synthetic unmethylated DNA (contains 50% of cytosine) and methylated DNA (contains 50% of 5-methylcytosine) were added into the assay wells at different concentrations and then measured with ab117128.
ab117128 has been referenced in 15 publications.
- Raad G et al. Adverse effects of paternal obesity on the motile spermatozoa quality. PLoS One 14:e0211837 (2019). PubMed: 30742661
- Antonini JM et al. Effect of Age, High-Fat Diet, and Rat Strain on Serum Biomarkers and Telomere Length and Global DNA Methylation in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells. Sci Rep 9:1996 (2019). PubMed: 30760804
- Hrabar J et al. Interplay between proinflammatory cytokines, miRNA, and tissue lesions in Anisakis-infected Sprague-Dawley rats. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 13:e0007397 (2019). PubMed: 31091271
- Bukowski K et al. DNA damage and methylation induced by organophosphate flame retardants: Tris(2-chloroethyl) phosphate and tris(1-chloro-2-propyl) phosphate in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Hum Exp Toxicol 38:724-733 (2019). PubMed: 30935230
- Wardowska A et al. Transcriptomic and Epigenetic Alterations in Dendritic Cells Correspond With Chronic Kidney Disease in Lupus Nephritis. Front Immunol 10:2026 (2019). PubMed: 31507612