Key features and details
- PR and GR antagonist
- CAS Number: 84371-65-3
- Soluble in DMSO to 100 mM and in ethanol to 50 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameMifepristone (RU486), Progesterone and Glucocorticoid receptor antagonist
DescriptionPR and GR antagonist
A cell-permeable synthetic steroid that acts as a potent selective antagonist of progesterone (PR) and glucocorticoid (GR) receptors in vitro and in vivo. Acts as a silent antagonist at PR and has a higher affinity than progesterone.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM and in ethanol to 50 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120356 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Zhang B et al. Corticosteroid receptor rebalancing alleviates critical illness-related corticosteroid insufficiency after traumatic brain injury by promoting paraventricular nuclear cell survival via Akt/CREB/BDNF signaling. J Neuroinflammation 17:318 (2020). PubMed: 33100225
- Nair M et al. Dexamethasone-Mediated Upregulation of Calreticulin Inhibits Primary Human Glioblastoma Dispersal Ex Vivo. Int J Mol Sci 19:N/A (2018). PubMed: 29443896
- Wang C et al. Experimental research on the relationship between the stiffness and the expressions of fibronectin proteins and adaptor proteins of rat trabecular meshwork cells. BMC Ophthalmol 17:268 (2017). PubMed: 29284449
- Xiao R et al. Environmental and Genetic Activation of Hypothalamic BDNF Modulates T-cell Immunity to Exert an Anticancer Phenotype. Cancer Immunol Res 4:488-497 (2016). PubMed: 27045020
- Shannon S et al. Dexamethasone-Mediated Activation of Fibronectin Matrix Assembly Reduces Dispersal of Primary Human Glioblastoma Cells. PLoS One 10:e0135951 (2015). PubMed: 26284619
- Karami Kheirabad M et al. Expression of Melanocortin-4 Receptor mRNA in Male Rat Hypothalamus During Chronic Stress. Int J Mol Cell Med 4:182-7 (2015). PubMed: 26629487