Key features and details
- One-wash 90 minute protocol
- Sensitivity: 1.47 pg/ml
- Range: 9.375 pg/ml - 600 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Cit plasma, EDTA Plasma, Hep Plasma, Serum
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Mouse
Product nameMouse FGF-21 ELISA Kit
See all FGF21 kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Serum 5 3% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Serum 3 4%
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Serum, Hep Plasma, EDTA Plasma, Cit plasma
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Range9.375 pg/ml - 600 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Cell culture supernatant 94 91% - 97% Serum 103 99% - 107% Hep Plasma 94 88% - 104% EDTA Plasma 100 92% - 108% Cit plasma 101 94% - 106%
Assay time1h 30m
Assay durationOne step assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse
Does not react with: Cow
Mouse FGF-21 ELISA Kit (ab212160) is a single-wash 90 min sandwich ELISA designed for the quantitative measurement of FGF-21 protein in cell culture supernatant, cit plasma, edta plasma, hep plasma, and serum. It uses our proprietary SimpleStep ELISA® technology. Quantitate Mouse FGF-21 with 1.47 pg/ml sensitivity.
SimpleStep ELISA® technology employs capture antibodies conjugated to an affinity tag that is recognized by the monoclonal antibody used to coat our SimpleStep ELISA® plates. This approach to sandwich ELISA allows the formation of the antibody-analyte sandwich complex in a single step, significantly reducing assay time. See the SimpleStep ELISA® protocol summary in the image section for further details. Our SimpleStep ELISA® technology provides several benefits:
- Single-wash protocol reduces assay time to 90 minutes or less
- High sensitivity, specificity and reproducibility from superior antibodies
- Fully validated in biological samples
- 96-wells plate breakable into 12 x 8 wells strips
A 384-well SimpleStep ELISA® microplate (ab203359) is available to use as an alternative to the 96-well microplate provided with SimpleStep ELISA® kits.
ASSAY SPECIFICITY This kit recognizes both native and recombinant mouse FGF-21 protein in serum, plasma, and cell culture supernatant samples only.
INTERFERENCE Recombinant mouse FGF R3 and mouse FGF R4 were prepared at 50 ng/mL and 1 ng/mL and tested for interference. No interference with was observed.
SPECIES REACTIVITY This kit recognizes mouse FGF-21 protein.
Rat serum and plasma samples are not compatible with this kit. Other species reactivity was determined by measuring 100% serum samples of various species, interpolating the protein concentrations from the mouse standard curve, and expressing the interpolated concentrations as a percentage of the protein concentration in mouse serum assayed at the same dilution.
Reactivity < 3% was determined for the following species: Human and cow.
FGF-21 is a secreted protein, a member of a large FGF gene family. FGF-21 stimulates glucose uptake in differentiated adipocytes via the induction of glucose transporter SLC2A1/GLUT1 expression but not via SLC2A4/GLUT4 expression. FGF-21 activity probably requires the presence of KLB.
PlatformPre-coated microplate (12 x 8 well strips)
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 10X Mouse FGF-21 Capture Antibody 1 x 600µl 10X Mouse FGF-21 Detector Antibody 1 x 600µl 10X Wash Buffer PT (ab206977) 1 x 20ml Antibody Diluent CPR 1 x 6ml Mouse FGF-21 Lyophilized Recombinant Protein 2 vials Plate Seals 1 unit Sample Diluent NS (ab193972) 1 x 50ml SimpleStep Pre-Coated 96-Well Microplate (ab206978) 1 unit Stop Solution 1 x 12ml TMB Development Solution 1 x 12ml
FunctionStimulates glucose uptake in differentiated adipocytes via the induction of glucose transporter SLC2A1/GLUT1 expression (but not SLC2A4/GLUT4 expression). Activity requires the presence of KLB.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the heparin-binding growth factors family.
- Information by UniProt
- FGF 21
SimpleStep ELISA technology allows the formation of the antibody-antigen complex in one single step, reducing assay time to 90 minutes. Add samples or standards and antibody mix to wells all at once, incubate, wash, and add your final substrate. See protocol for a detailed step-by-step guide.
Standard curve comparison between mouse FGF-21 SimpleStep ELISA® kit and traditional ELISA kit from leading competitor. SimpleStep ELISA kit shows a 8-fold increase in sensitivity.
Background-subtracted data values (mean +/- SD) are graphed.
Example of mouse FGF-21 standard curve in Sample Diluent NS. The FGF-21 standard curve was prepared as described. Raw data values are shown in the table. Background-subtracted data values (mean +/- SD) are graphed.
The concentrations of FGF-21 were measured in duplicates, interpolated from the FGF-21 standard curves and corrected for sample dilution. Undiluted samples are as follows: serum 100%, plasma (citrate) 100%, plasma (EDTA) 100%, and plasma (heparin) 50%. The interpolated dilution factor (to neat sample) corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean FGF-21 concentration was determined to be 409 pg/mL in neat serum, 397 pg/mL in neat plasma (citrate), 358 pg/mL in neat plasma (EDTA), and 348 pg/mL in neat plasma (heparin).
The concentrations of FGF-21 were measured in duplicates, interpolated from the FGF-21 standard curves and corrected for sample dilution. Undiluted samples are as follows: L-929 cell culture supernatant 100%. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean FGF-21 concentration was determined to be 59 pg/mL in neat L-929 cell culture supernatant.
The concentrations of FGF-21 were measured in three different dilutions in duplicate and interpolated from the FGF-21 standard curve and corrected for sample dilution. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted in pg FGF-21 per mL of neat serum (mean +/- SD, n=3). FGF-21 concentration was determined to be 401 pg/mg in normal mouse serum, and 9,193 pg/mL in pregnant mouse serum.
Linearity of dilution is determined based on interpolated values from the standard curve. Linearity of dilution defines a sample concentration interval in which interpolated target concentrations are directly proportional to sample dilution.
Native FGF-21 was measured in the following biological samples in a 2-fold dilution series. Sample dilutions are made in Sample Diluent NS.
To learn more about the advantages of recombinant antibodies see here.
ab212160 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Jia WH et al. Effects of fasting on the expression pattern of FGFs in different skeletal muscle fibre types and sexes in mice. Biol Sex Differ 11:9 (2020). PubMed: 32156311
- Hong T et al. Erythropoietin suppresses hepatic steatosis and obesity by inhibiting endoplasmic reticulum stress and upregulating fibroblast growth factor 21. Int J Mol Med 44:469-478 (2019). PubMed: 31173165
- Martinez-Huenchullan SF et al. Constant-Moderate and High-Intensity Interval Training Have Differential Benefits on Insulin Sensitive Tissues in High-Fat Fed Mice. Front Physiol 10:459 (2019). PubMed: 31105582
- Davidsohn N et al. A single combination gene therapy treats multiple age-related diseases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116:23505-23511 (2019). PubMed: 31685628
- Libby AE et al. Perilipin-2 deletion promotes carbohydrate-mediated browning of white adipose tissue at ambient temperature. J Lipid Res 59:1482-1500 (2018). PubMed: 29866659
- Ying W et al. Adipose Tissue Macrophage-Derived Exosomal miRNAs Can Modulate In Vivo and In Vitro Insulin Sensitivity. Cell 171:372-384.e12 (2017). PubMed: 28942920