Key features and details
- Mouse monoclonal [plpc 1] to Myelin PLP
- Suitable for: ICC/IF
- Reacts with: Rat
- Isotype: IgG2a
Product nameAnti-Myelin PLP antibody [plpc 1]
See all Myelin PLP primary antibodies
DescriptionMouse monoclonal [plpc 1] to Myelin PLP
SpecificityThis antibody recognizes myelin proteolipid protein
Tested Applications & Species
Application Species ICC/IFRat
The Life Science industry has been in the grips of a reproducibility crisis for a number of years. Abcam is leading the way in addressing the problem with our range of recombinant monoclonal antibodies and knockout edited cell lines for gold-standard validation.
One factor contributing to the crisis is the use of antibodies that are not suitable. This can lead to misleading results and the use of incorrect data informing project assumptions and direction. To help address this challenge, we have introduced an application and species grid on our primary antibody datasheets to make it easy to simplify identification of the right antibody for your needs.
Learn more here.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferPreservative: 0.1% Sodium azide
Concentration information loading...
PurityProtein G purified
Clone numberplpc 1
Light chain typeunknown
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab9311 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Tested applications are guaranteed to work and covered by our Abpromise guarantee.
Predicted to work for this combination of applications and species but not guaranteed.
Does not work for this combination of applications and species.
FunctionThis is the major myelin protein from the central nervous system. It plays an important role in the formation or maintenance of the multilamellar structure of myelin.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in PLP1 are the cause of leukodystrophy hypomyelinating type 1 (HLD1) [MIM:312080]; also known as Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease. HLD1 is an X-linked recessive dysmyelinating disorder of the central nervous system in which myelin is not formed properly. It is characterized clinically by nystagmus, spastic quadriplegia, ataxia, and developmental delay.
Defects in PLP1 are the cause of spastic paraplegia X-linked type 2 (SPG2) [MIM:312920]. SPG2 is characterized by spastic gait and hyperreflexia. In some patients, complicating features include nystagmus, dysarthria, sensory disturbance, mental retardation, optic atrophy.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the myelin proteolipid protein family.
- Information by UniProt
- HLD1 antibody
- Lipophilin antibody
- Major myelin proteolipid protein antibody
ab9311 at a dilution of 1/1000, staining neuronal Myelin PLP (Alexa 488 secondary at 1/2000) in rat brain tissue (30
µm thick coronal sections) on free floating IHC (see protocol link for detailed description). Image taken with a 40x objective. No labeling observed following omission of primary antibody.
Sections were viewed using an Axioplan 2 Imaging microscope (Imaging Associates) fitted with 10x, 20x and 40x Plan-Neofluorobjectives (Zeiss, Germany) and images were taken using a AxioCam Hrm digital camera (Zeiss, Germany) and AxioVision software (Imaging Associates
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab9311 has been referenced in 10 publications.
- Göttle P et al. Teriflunomide promotes oligodendroglial differentiation and myelination. J Neuroinflammation 15:76 (2018). WB ; Rat . PubMed: 29534752
- Narayanan V et al. Impairment of frequency-specific responses associated with altered electrical activity patterns in auditory thalamus following focal and general demyelination. Exp Neurol 309:54-66 (2018). PubMed: 30048715
- Pereira GB et al. Targeted deletion of the antisilencer/enhancer (ASE) element from intron 1 of the myelin proteolipid protein gene (Plp1) in mouse reveals that the element is dispensable for Plp1 expression in brain during development and remyelination. J Neurochem 124:454-65 (2013). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 23157328
- Clark K et al. Gait abnormalities and progressive myelin degeneration in a new murine model of Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease with tandem genomic duplication. J Neurosci 33:11788-99 (2013). PubMed: 23864668
- Black JA et al. Nav1.5 sodium channels in macrophages in multiple sclerosis lesions. Mult Scler : (2012). IHC ; Human . PubMed: 22951351
- Kovalevich J et al. Cocaine-induced loss of white matter proteins in the adult mouse nucleus accumbens is attenuated by administration of a ß-lactam antibiotic during cocaine withdrawal. Am J Pathol 181:1921-7 (2012). PubMed: 23031254
- Pereira GB et al. Expression of myelin genes: comparative analysis of Oli-neu and N20.1 oligodendroglial cell lines. J Neurosci Res 89:1070-8 (2011). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 21472765
- Fatemi SH et al. Abnormal expression of myelination genes and alterations in white matter fractional anisotropy following prenatal viral influenza infection at E16 in mice. Schizophr Res 112:46-53 (2009). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 19487109
- Rabchevsky AG et al. Temporal-spatial dynamics in oligodendrocyte and glial progenitor cell numbers throughout ventrolateral white matter following contusion spinal cord injury. Glia 55:831-43 (2007). PubMed: 17390308
- Samanta J et al. BMPR1a signaling determines numbers of oligodendrocytes and calbindin-expressing interneurons in the cortex. J Neurosci 27:7397-407 (2007). IHC-FoFr ; Mouse . PubMed: 17626200