For the best experience on the Abcam website please upgrade to a modern browser such as Google Chrome
Figure 1: Formation of neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) by the tau protein in tauopathies such as Alzheimer’s disease. Under pathological conditions tau becomes hyperphosphorylated and detaches from microtubules. Phosphorylated tau then aggregates to form paired helical filaments (PHFs) and neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs).
Tau is found in soluble form in the normal brain but in AD, becomes aggregated and insoluble. Easily detect total tau with a BSA and azide-free antibody, an antibody panel, or an ELISA kit from the table below.
Total tau antibody
Anti-Tau antibody [TAU-5] - BSA and Azide free
Tau antibody panel
Tau Research Antibody Panel
Human Tau ELISA Kit
Note: Studying insoluble tau can be problematic, consider using detergents such as RIPA and Sarkosyl1.
Tau function is governed by phosphorylation, which becomes dysregulated during pathology, resulting in mislocalization, aggregation, and neuronal death. Effortlessly study all aspects of tau phosphorylation with antibodies against different post-translationally modified sites.
Serine 202 and threonine 205
Anti-Tau (phospho S202 + T205) antibody [EPR20390]
Anti-Tau (phospho T231) antibody [EPR2488]
Anti-Tau (phospho S262) antibody
Anti-Tau (phospho S396) antibody [EPR2731]
Anti-Tau (phospho S422) antibody [EPR2866]
If you need multiple phosphorylated tau antibodies, try our Tau antibody panel (ab226492).
The presence of aggregated tau corresponds with pathology in diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Effectively inhibit the formation of neurofibrillary tangles with a potent tau aggregation inhibitor.
TRx0237 mesylate (LMTX)
Selective GSK-3 inhibitor (IC50 = 68 nM) of tau phosphorylation at the S396 site4.
ATP-competitive Dyrk1A inhibitor capable of reversing tau phosphorylation5.
GSK-3β Inhibitor VII
Cell-permeable, non-ATP competitive GSK-3β inhibitor (IC50 = 0.5 µM)6.
Allosteric Hsp70 modulator which potently reduces aberrant tau levels (EC50 ~ 0.9 μM)7.
There is a complex interplay between misfolded proteins and neuroinflammation in neurodegenerative disease. Study tau in the context of neuroinflammation with a range of tools to study proinflammatory mediators.
Mouse and human multiplex cytokine panels
Human Key cytokines (15 plex) Multiplex Immunoassay Kit
Mouse Key cytokines (14 plex) Multiplex Immunoassay Kit
TNF alpha ELISA kit
Mouse TNF alpha ELISA Kit
IL-1 beta ELISA kit
Mouse IL-1 beta ELISA Kit (Interleukin-1 beta)
IL-6 ELISA kit
Human IL-6 ELISA Kit (Interleukin-6) High Sensitivity
Profile multiple cytokines with a pre-designed panel, or define your own - learn more about Fireplex immunoassays
1. Forest, S. K., Acker, C. M., d’Abramo, C. & Davies, P. Methods for measuring tau pathology in transgenic mouse models. J. Alzheimers. Dis. 33, 463–71 (2013). Read more
2. Melis, V. et al. Effects of oxidized and reduced forms of methylthioninium in two transgenic mouse tauopathy models. Behav. Pharmacol. 26, 353–368 (2015). Read more
3. Panza, F. et al. Tau aggregation inhibitors: the future of Alzheimer’s pharmacotherapy? Expert Opin. Pharmacother. 17, 457–461 (2016). Read more
4. Marsell, R. et al. GSK-3 inhibition by an orally active small molecule increases bone mass in rats. Bone 50, 619–627 (2012). Read more
5. Ogawa, Y. et al. Development of a novel selective inhibitor of the Down syndrome-related kinase Dyrk1A. Nat. Commun. 1, 1–9 (2010). Read more
6. Conde, S. et al. Thienyl and Phenyl α-Halomethyl Ketones: New Inhibitors of Glycogen Synthase Kinase (GSK-3β) from a Library of Compound Searching. (2003). J Med Chem. 46, 4631-3 (2003). Read more
7. Abisambra, J. et al. Allosteric heat shock protein 70 inhibitors rapidly rescue synaptic plasticity deficits by reducing aberrant tau. Biol. Psychiatry 74, 367–374 (2013). Read more