Product nameNeutral red, histology stain
- 3-Amino-7-dimethylamino-2-methylphenazine hydrochloride
- Basic Red 5
- C.I. Basic Red 5
Commonly used histological stain for lysosymes that stains lysosomes red. Once taken up by cells the compound can be used to ascertain cell viability. Also used as a pH indicator.
Chemical nameN8,N8,3-Trimethyl-2,8-phenazinediamine hydrochloride
Storage instructionsStore at Room Temperature. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Repetto G et al. Neutral red uptake assay for the estimation of cell viability/cytotoxicity. Nat Protoc 3:1125-31 (2008). Read more (PubMed: 18600217) »
- Ni Y et al. Synchronous fluorescence, UV-visible spectrophotometric, and voltammetric studies of the competitive interaction of bis(1,10-phenanthroline)copper(II) complex and neutral red with DNA. Anal Biochem 352:231-42 (2006). Read more (PubMed: 16584704) »
- Ricci V et al. Extracellular pH modulates Helicobacter pylori-induced vacuolation and VacA toxin internalization in human gastric epithelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 292:167-74 (2002). Read more (PubMed: 11890688) »
- Antal P et al. Flow cytometric assay of phagocytic activity of human neutrophils and monocytes in whole blood by neutral red uptake. Ann Hematol 70:259-65 (1995). Read more (PubMed: 7599287) »