Product nameNS 398, COX-2 inhibitor
Biological descriptionSelective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor (IC50 values are 3.8 and >100 μM for COX-2 and COX-1, respectively). Orally active. Anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic and non-ulcerogenic in vivo. Induces apoptosis and cell cycle arrest.
Storage instructionsStore at Room Temperature. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Lipid and lipoprotein metabolism
- Cholesterol Metabolism
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120295 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|Functional Studies||Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
ab32034 staining p27 KIP1 in MCF7 cells treated with NS 398 (ab120295), by ICC/IF. Increase in p27 KIP1 expression correlates with increased concentration of NS 398, as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 6h in media containing different concentrations of ab120295 (NS 398) in DMSO, fixed with 4% formaldehyde for 10 minutes at room temperature and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab32034 (1/100 dilution) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-rabbit polyclonal antibody (ab96899) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody.
This product has been referenced in:
- Du Y et al. Induction of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest by NS398 in oral squamous cell carcinoma cells via downregulation of E2 promoter-binding factor-1. Oncol Rep 20:605-11 (2008). Read more (PubMed: 18695912) »
- Futaki N et al. NS-398, a new anti-inflammatory agent, selectively inhibits prostaglandin G/H synthase/cyclooxygenase (COX-2) activity in vitro. Prostaglandins 47:55-9 (1994). Read more (PubMed: 8140262) »
- Futaki N et al. NS-398, a novel non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug with potent analgesic and antipyretic effects, which causes minimal stomach lesions. Gen Pharmacol 24:105-10 (1993). Read more (PubMed: 8482483) »