Product nameOil Red O Stain Kit (Lipid Stain)
See all Lipids kits
Oil Red O (Lipid Stain) kit is intended for use in the histological visualization of fat cells and neutral fat. This kit may be used ONLY on frozen tissue sections, fresh smears, or touch preps.
If you prefer to prepare your own Oil Red O solution, we recommend our solid Oil Red O stain ab146295.
Oil Red O staining protocol summary:
- prepare fresh or frozen tissue sections
- incubate slide in propylene glycol for 2 min
- incubate slide in oil red o solution for 6 min
- differentiate section in 85% propylene glycol for 1 min
- rinse slide twice in water
- incubate in hematoxylin for 1-2 min
- rinse slide three times in water
- coverslip with an aqueous mounting medium
Other products for staining tissue sections
Find more kits and reagents in the special stains guide, or products for antigen retrieval, blocking, signal amplification, visualization, counterstaining, and mounting in the IHC kits and reagents guide.
Oil Red O is a fat-soluble dye that stains neutral triglycerides and lipids. It cannot be used with formaldehyde-fixed paraffin embedded sections as the alcohols used remove most lipids.
Fat Cells Red Neutral Fat Red Nuclei Blue
Control Tissue: Any frozen section containing fat.
Storage instructionsStore at room temperature. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Hematoxylin (Modified Mayer's Solution) 1 x 125ml Oil Red O Solution 1 x 125ml Propylene Glycol 1 x 500ml
ab150678 Oil Red O Stain Kit (Lipid Stain) staining frozen human human adipose.
ab150678 (Oil Red O stain) staining lipid deposits (red) in frozen normal human skin. The dermis is unstained, whereas the hypodermis is stained, demonstrating dye specificity. Hematoxylin (blue) is used as a counterstain.
*Tissue obtained from the Human Research Tissue Bank, supported by the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre.
Oil Red O staining of 3T3-L1 and adipocyte-like cells
During adipocyte differentiation, cells accumulate lipid. Oil Red O staining kit (ab150678) was used to visualize lipid in 3T3-L1 cells (left) and adipocyte-like cells (right). As expected, lipid accumulates in 3T3-L1 cells after differentiation into adipocyte-like cells.
Staining of Frozen Breast Tissue using ab150678 - Oil Red O Stain Kit.
This product has been referenced in:
- Chernyshova MP et al. Systemic and skin-targeting beneficial effects of lycopene-enriched ice cream: A pilot study. J Dairy Sci 102:14-25 (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30447975) »
- Kaufman S et al. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery reprograms enterocyte triglyceride metabolism and postprandial secretion in rats. Mol Metab 23:51-59 (2019). Read more (PubMed: 30905616) »