Product nameOil Red O Stain Kit (Lipid Stain)
See all Lipids kits
Oil Red O (Lipid Stain) kit is intended for use in the histological visualization of fat cells and neutral fat. This kit may be used ONLY on frozen tissue sections, fresh smears, or touch preps.
If you prefer to prepare your own Oil Red O solution, we recommend our solid Oil Red O stain ab146295.
Oil Red O staining protocol summary:
- prepare fresh or frozen tissue sections
- incubate slide in propylene glycol for 2 min
- incubate slide in oil red o solution for 6 min
- differentiate section in 85% propylene glycol for 1 min
- rinse slide twice in water
- incubate in hematoxylin for 1-2 min
- rinse slide three times in water
- coverslip with an aqueous mounting medium
Other products for staining tissue sections
Find more kits and reagents in the special stains guide, or products for antigen retrieval, blocking, signal amplification, visualization, counterstaining, and mounting in the IHC kits and reagents guide.
Oil Red O is a fat-soluble dye that stains neutral triglycerides and lipids. It cannot be used with formaldehyde-fixed paraffin embedded sections as the alcohols used remove most lipids.
Fat Cells Red Neutral Fat Red Nuclei Blue
Control Tissue: Any frozen section containing fat.
Storage instructionsStore at room temperature. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Hematoxylin (Modified Mayer's Solution) 1 x 125ml Oil Red O Solution 1 x 125ml Propylene Glycol 1 x 500ml
ab150678 Oil Red O Stain Kit (Lipid Stain) staining frozen human human adipose.
ab150678 (Oil Red O stain) staining lipid deposits (red) in frozen normal human skin. The dermis is unstained, whereas the hypodermis is stained, demonstrating dye specificity. Hematoxylin (blue) is used as a counterstain.
*Tissue obtained from the Human Research Tissue Bank, supported by the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre.
Oil Red O staining of 3T3-L1 and adipocyte-like cells
During adipocyte differentiation, cells accumulate lipid. Oil Red O staining kit (ab150678) was used to visualize lipid in 3T3-L1 cells (left) and adipocyte-like cells (right). As expected, lipid accumulates in 3T3-L1 cells after differentiation into adipocyte-like cells.
Staining of Frozen Breast Tissue using ab150678 - Oil Red O Stain Kit.
ab150678 has been referenced in 44 publications.
- Wang F et al. The Ubiquitin E3 Ligase TRIM21 Promotes Hepatocarcinogenesis by Suppressing the p62-Keap1-Nrf2 Antioxidant Pathway. Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:1369-1385 (2021). PubMed: 33482392
- Chen L et al. Three-dimensional interactions between enhancers and promoters during intestinal differentiation depend upon HNF4. Cell Rep 34:108679 (2021). PubMed: 33503426
- Taki K et al. Dietary sodium chloride attenuates increased ß-cell mass to cause glucose intolerance in mice under a high-fat diet. PLoS One 16:e0248065 (2021). PubMed: 33730054
- Ghosh A et al. Lipid-laden Macrophages Are Not Unique to Patients with E-Cigarette or Vaping Product Use-associated Lung Injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 203:1030-1033 (2021). PubMed: 33332247
- Teresa Borrello M et al. NUPR1 protects liver from lipotoxic injury by improving the endoplasmic reticulum stress response. FASEB J 35:e21395 (2021). PubMed: 33566371