Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to PEN2
- Suitable for: WB, ICC/IF
- Reacts with: Mouse, Human
- Isotype: IgG
Product nameAnti-PEN2 antibody
See all PEN2 primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to PEN2
Specificityab18189 specifically detects mouse 12kDa Pen2 protein in lung lysate. A number of higher MW bands are also detected (~50 and ~100kDa bands) which may be because a proportion of Pen2 is found bound to components of the gamma secretase complex (see the Relevance section). All bands detected with ab18189 in mouse lung lysate were blocked with the immunising peptide ab19147. Human Pen2 protein was also detected (weakly) in lung lysates with ab18189 (2ug/ml) in our hands and all detected bands blocked by immunising peptide ab19147.
Tested applicationsSuitable for: WB, ICC/IFmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Human
Predicted to work with: Rat
- For endogenous sample testing in (e.g. in lung, spleen or brain tissue), it is suggested that the investigator load a greater amount of protein on the gel and combine immunoprecipitation with Western blot analysis. This antibody gave a positive result in HeLa cell line in ICC/IF
PEN2 is a functional component of the gamma-secretase complex; coimmunoprecipitation of endogenous PEN2 and PS1 fragments using PS1 antibodies has been reported (Steiner et al, 2002).
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
Concentration information loading...
PurityImmunogen affinity purified
Primary antibody notesPEN2 is a functional component of the gamma-secretase complex; coimmunoprecipitation of endogenous PEN2 and PS1 fragments using PS1 antibodies has been reported (Steiner et al, 2002).
Immunizing Peptide (Blocking)
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab18189 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|WB||Use a concentration of 2 µg/ml. Detects a band of approximately 11.9 kDa (predicted molecular weight: 12 kDa).|
|ICC/IF||Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml.|
FunctionEssential subunit of the gamma-secretase complex, an endoprotease complex that catalyzes the intramembrane cleavage of integral membrane proteins such as Notch receptors and APP (beta-amyloid precursor protein). Probably represents the last step of maturation of gamma-secretase, facilitating endoproteolysis of presenilin and conferring gamma-secretase activity.
Tissue specificityWidely expressed. Expressed in leukocytes, lung, placenta, small intestine, liver, kidney, spleen thymus, skeletal muscle, heart and brain.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the PEN-2 family.
Cellular localizationEndoplasmic reticulum membrane. Golgi apparatus > Golgi stack membrane. Predominantly located in the endoplasmic reticulum and in the cis-Golgi.
- Information by UniProt
- Gamma secretase subunit PEN 2 antibody
- Gamma Secretase Subunit PEN2 antibody
- Gamma-secretase subunit PEN-2 antibody
All lanes : Anti-PEN2 antibody (ab18189) at 2 µg/ml
Lane 1 : Mouse Lung Lysate
Lane 2 : Mouse Lung Lysate with
Human PEN2 peptide (ab19147) at 1 µg/ml
Lysates/proteins at 20 µg per lane.
All lanes : Alexa Fluor Goat polyclonal to Rabbit at 1/10000 dilution
Performed under reducing conditions.
Predicted band size: 12 kDa
Observed band size: 12 kDa
Additional bands at: 50-60 kDa, 95-100 kDa. We are unsure as to the identity of these extra bands.
ICC/IF image of ab18189 stained HeLa cells. The cells were 100% methanol fixed (5 min) and then incubated in 1%BSA / 10% normal goat serum / 0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h to permeabilise the cells and block non-specific protein-protein interactions. The cells were then incubated with the antibody (ab18189, 5µg/ml) overnight at +4°C. The secondary antibody (green) was ab96899, DyLight® 488 goat anti-rabbit IgG (H+L) used at a 1/250 dilution for 1h. Alexa Fluor® 594 WGA was used to label plasma membranes (red) at a 1/200 dilution for 1h. DAPI was used to stain the cell nuclei (blue) at a concentration of 1.43µM.
ab18189 has been referenced in 8 publications.
- Bannai T et al. Chronic cerebral hypoperfusion shifts the equilibrium of amyloid ß oligomers to aggregation-prone species with higher molecular weight. Sci Rep 9:2827 (2019). PubMed: 30808940
- Wong E et al. GSAP modulates ?-secretase specificity by inducing conformational change in PS1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 116:6385-6390 (2019). PubMed: 30850537
- Spangenberg E et al. Sustained microglial depletion with CSF1R inhibitor impairs parenchymal plaque development in an Alzheimer's disease model. Nat Commun 10:3758 (2019). PubMed: 31434879
- Stoffel W et al. SMPD3 deficiency perturbs neuronal proteostasis and causes progressive cognitive impairment. Cell Death Dis 9:507 (2018). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 29725009
- Zhang F et al. Impacts of Acute Hypoxia on Alzheimer's Disease-Like Pathologies in APPswe/PS1dE9 Mice and Their Wild Type Littermates. Front Neurosci 12:314 (2018). PubMed: 29867325
- Greenough MA et al. Presenilins Promote the Cellular Uptake of Copper and Zinc and Maintain Copper Chaperone of SOD1-dependent Copper/Zinc Superoxide Dismutase Activity. J Biol Chem 286:9776-86 (2011). WB ; Human . PubMed: 21239495
- Placanica L et al. Characterization of an atypical gamma-secretase complex from hematopoietic origin. Biochemistry 49:2796-804 (2010). WB ; Human . PubMed: 20178366
- Donmez G et al. SIRT1 Suppresses beta-Amyloid Production by Activating the alpha-Secretase Gene ADAM10. Cell 142:320-332 (2010). WB ; Mouse . PubMed: 20655472