Key features and details
- Rabbit polyclonal to Periostin
- Suitable for: IHC-P, WB, ICC/IF
- Reacts with: Human
- Isotype: IgG
Product nameAnti-Periostin antibody
See all Periostin primary antibodies
DescriptionRabbit polyclonal to Periostin
Tested applicationsSuitable for: IHC-P, WB, ICC/IFmore details
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Predicted to work with: Mouse, Chicken, Cow
Synthetic peptide corresponding to Human Periostin aa 250-350 conjugated to keyhole limpet haemocyanin.
(Peptide available as
- This antibody gave a positive signal in WB in Human breast tumour tissue lysate. This antibody gave a positive result in IHC in the following FFPE tissue: Human breast fibroadenocarcinoma.
Reproducibility is key to advancing scientific discovery and accelerating scientists’ next breakthrough.
Abcam is leading the way with our range of recombinant antibodies, knockout-validated antibodies and knockout cell lines, all of which support improved reproducibility.
We are also planning to innovate the way in which we present recommended applications and species on our product datasheets, so that only applications & species that have been tested in our own labs, our suppliers or by selected trusted collaborators are covered by our Abpromise™ guarantee.
In preparation for this, we have started to update the applications & species that this product is Abpromise guaranteed for.
We are also updating the applications & species that this product has been “predicted to work with,” however this information is not covered by our Abpromise guarantee.
Applications & species from publications and Abreviews that have not been tested in our own labs or in those of our suppliers are not covered by the Abpromise guarantee.
Please check that this product meets your needs before purchasing. If you have any questions, special requirements or concerns, please send us an inquiry and/or contact our Support team ahead of purchase. Recommended alternatives for this product can be found below, as well as customer reviews and Q&As.
Storage instructionsShipped at 4°C. Store at +4°C short term (1-2 weeks). Upon delivery aliquot. Store at -20°C or -80°C. Avoid freeze / thaw cycle.
Storage bufferpH: 7.40
Preservative: 0.02% Sodium azide
Batches of this product that have a concentration < 1mg/ml may have BSA added as a stabilising agent. If you would like information about the formulation of a specific lot, please contact our scientific support team who will be happy to help.
Concentration information loading...
PurityImmunogen affinity purified
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab79946 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|IHC-P||Use a concentration of 0.1 µg/ml.|
|WB||Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml. Detects a band of approximately 80, 86, 86, 93 kDa (predicted molecular weight: 93 kDa). This antibody was raised against an immunogen that is predicted to recognize isoforms 1,2,3 & 4 of Human Periostin.|
|ICC/IF||Use a concentration of 1 µg/ml.|
FunctionBinds to heparin. Induces cell attachment and spreading and plays a role in cell adhesion. May play a role in extracellular matrix mineralization.
Tissue specificityWidely expressed with highest levels in aorta, stomach, lower gastrointestinal tract, placenta, uterus and breast. Up-regulated in epithelial ovarian tumors. Not expressed in normal ovaries. Also highly expressed at the tumor periphery of lung carcinoma tissue but not within the tumor. Overexpressed in breast cancers.
Sequence similaritiesContains 1 EMI domain.
Contains 4 FAS1 domains.
modificationsGamma-carboxyglutamate residues are formed by vitamin K dependent carboxylation. These residues are essential for the binding of calcium.
Cellular localizationSecreted > extracellular space > extracellular matrix.
- Information by UniProt
- Fasciclin-I like antibody
- MGC119510 antibody
- MGC119511 antibody
IHC image of Periostin staining in Human breast fibroadenocarcinoma formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue section, performed on a Leica BondTM system using the standard protocol F. The section was pre-treated using heat mediated antigen retrieval with sodium citrate buffer (pH6, epitope retrieval solution 1) for 20 mins. The section was then incubated with ab79946, 0.1µg/ml, for 15 mins at room temperature and detected using an HRP conjugated compact polymer system. DAB was used as the chromogen. The section was then counterstained with haematoxylin and mounted with DPX.
For other IHC staining systems (automated and non-automated) customers should optimize variable parameters such as antigen retrieval conditions, primary antibody concentration and antibody incubation times.
Anti-Periostin antibody (ab79946) at 1 µg/ml (blocked with 3% milk) + Breast (Human) Cytoplasmic Lysate - tumor tissue (ab30085) at 10 µg
Goat polyclonal to Rabbit IgG - H&L - Pre-Adsorbed (HRP) at 1/10000 dilution
Developed using the ECL technique.
Performed under reducing conditions.
Predicted band size: 93 kDa
Observed band size: 80,80,86,87,93 kDa why is the actual band size different from the predicted?
Additional bands at: 38 kDa. We are unsure as to the identity of these extra bands.
Exposure time: 20 minutes
This antibody was raised against an immunogen that is predicted to recognize isoforms 1,2,3 & 4 of Human Periostin. The predicted molecular weights of isoforms 1,2,3 & 4 are 93, kDa, 87 kDa, 87 kDa and 83 kDa respectively.
ICC/IF image of ab79946 stained MCF7 cells. The cells were 100% methanol fixed (5 min) and then incubated in 1%BSA / 10% normal goat serum / 0.3M glycine in 0.1% PBS-Tween for 1h to permeabilise the cells and block non-specific protein-protein interactions. The cells were then incubated with the antibody (ab79946, 5µg/ml) overnight at +4°C. The secondary antibody (green) was Alexa Fluor® 488 goat anti-rabbit IgG (H+L) used at a 1/1000 dilution for 1h. Alexa Fluor® 594 WGA was used to label plasma membranes (red) at a 1/200 dilution for 1h. DAPI was used to stain the cell nuclei (blue) at a concentration of 1.43µM. This antibody also gave a positive result in 4% PFA fixed (10 min) MCF7 cells at 5µg/ml.
ab79946 has been referenced in 7 publications.
- Zhang Q et al. Cancer-associated stroma significantly contributes to the mesenchymal subtype signature of serous ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol N/A:N/A (2018). PubMed: 30448260
- Wei Y et al. Excessive periostin expression and Th2 response in patients with nasal polyps: association with asthma. J Thorac Dis 10:6585-6597 (2018). PubMed: 30746204
- Meng X et al. Periostin has a protective role in melatonin-induced cell apoptosis by inhibiting the eIF2a-ATF4 pathway in human osteoblasts. Int J Mol Med 41:1003-1012 (2018). PubMed: 29207036
- Nagaraju CK et al. Global fibroblast activation throughout the left ventricle but localized fibrosis after myocardial infarction. Sci Rep 7:10801 (2017). PubMed: 28883544
- Sverrild A et al. Eosinophilic airway inflammation in asthmatic patients is associated with an altered airway microbiome. J Allergy Clin Immunol 140:407-417.e11 (2017). PubMed: 28042058
- Guo X et al. Hypoxia promotes glioma-associated macrophage infiltration via periostin and subsequent M2 polarization by upregulating TGF-beta and M-CSFR. Oncotarget 7:80521-80542 (2016). WB ; Human . PubMed: 27602954
- Kong P et al. Lack of specificity of fibroblast-specific protein 1 in cardiac remodeling and fibrosis. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 305:H1363-72 (2013). IHC ; Mouse . PubMed: 23997102