Product namePicro Sirius Red Stain Kit (Connective Tissue Stain)
Sample typeTissue sections
Assay time1h 00m
Picro-Sirius Red Stain Kit (Connective Tissue Stain) ab150681 is intended for use in the histological visualization of collagen I and III fibers in addition to muscle in tissue sections.
The picro sirius red staining may be viewed using standard light microscopy.
Picro sirius red staining has traditionally sometimes been used with polarized light to more easily differentiate the collagen fibres from the background. Studies have used the differences between the appearance of different collagen fibres under polarized light to differentiate between different types of collagen fibres; it is unclear if the differences in appearance of the fibres is due to orientation, thickness and packing of the fibres rather than reflecting different types of collagen fibers.
Picro sirius red staining protocol summary:
- deparaffinize sections if necessary and hydrate in distilled water
- cover sections in picro-sirius red solution and incubate for 60 min
- wash slide with acetic acid solution
- wash slide with absolute alcohol
- dehydrate, clear and mount slide
Collagen Red Muscle Fibers Yellow Cytoplasm Yellow
Polarized Light Microscopy*
See note in overview section
Type I (Thick fibers) Yellow-Orange Birefringence Type III (Thin fibers) Green Birefringence
Control Tissue: Lung, Uterus, Muscle, Kidney.
Storage instructionsStore at room temperature. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Acetic Acid Solution 2 x 250ml Picro Sirius Red Solution 1 x 250ml
ab150681 Picro Sirius Red Stain Kit (Connective Tissue Stain) staining formalin-fixed-paraffin embedded human skeletal muscle.
ab150681 (Picro Sirius Red stain) staining collagen (red), muscle fibres (yellow), cytoplasm (yellow) and red blood cells (yellow) in formalin fixed paraffin embedded normal human colon.
*Tissue obtained from the Human Research Tissue Bank, supported by the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre.
ab150681 staining mouse liver sections in control (saline group) showing normal lobular structure; in CCl4 treated showing extensive collagen deposition and bridging fibrosis; and in CCl4-AND treated mice which showed decreased collagen deposition.
This product has been referenced in:
- Kramer AS et al. InForm software: a semi-automated research tool to identify presumptive human hepatic progenitor cells, and other histological features of pathological significance. Sci Rep 8:3418 (2018). Read more (PubMed: 29467378) »
- Fang S et al. circHECTD1 promotes the silica-induced pulmonary endothelial-mesenchymal transition via HECTD1. Cell Death Dis 9:396 (2018). Read more (PubMed: 29540674) »