Key features and details
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Tissue sections
Product namePicro Sirius Red Stain Kit (Connective Tissue Stain)
Sample typeTissue sections
Assay time1h 00m
Picro-Sirius Red Stain Kit (Connective Tissue Stain) ab150681 is intended for use in the histological visualization of collagen I and III fibers in addition to muscle in tissue sections.
The picro sirius red staining may be viewed using standard light microscopy.
Picro sirius red staining has traditionally sometimes been used with polarized light to more easily differentiate the collagen fibres from the background. Studies have used the differences between the appearance of different collagen fibres under polarized light to differentiate between different types of collagen fibres; it is unclear if the differences in appearance of the fibres is due to orientation, thickness and packing of the fibres rather than reflecting different types of collagen fibers.
Picro sirius red staining protocol summary:
- deparaffinize sections if necessary and hydrate in distilled water
- cover sections in picro-sirius red solution and incubate for 60 min
- wash slide with acetic acid solution
- wash slide with absolute alcohol
- dehydrate, clear and mount slide
Other products for staining tissue sections
Find more kits and reagents in the special stains guide, or products for antigen retrieval, blocking, signal amplification, visualization, counterstaining, and mounting in the IHC kits and reagents guide.
ab150681 may not be suitable for frozen sections.
Collagen Red Muscle Fibers Yellow Cytoplasm Yellow
Polarized Light Microscopy*
See note in overview section
Type I (Thick fibers) Yellow-Orange Birefringence Type III (Thin fibers) Green Birefringence
Control Tissue: Lung, Uterus, Muscle, Kidney.
ab150681 Picro Sirius Red Stain Kit (Connective Tissue Stain) staining formalin-fixed-paraffin embedded human skeletal muscle.
ab150681 (Picro Sirius Red stain) staining collagen (red), muscle fibres (yellow), cytoplasm (yellow) and red blood cells (yellow) in formalin fixed paraffin embedded normal human colon.
*Tissue obtained from the Human Research Tissue Bank, supported by the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre.
ab150681 staining mouse liver sections in control (saline group) showing normal lobular structure; in CCl4 treated showing extensive collagen deposition and bridging fibrosis; and in CCl4-AND treated mice which showed decreased collagen deposition.
Evaluation of liver tissues fibrosis pattern in IUGR and SHAM adult males rats, using Picro-Sirius Red Stain (ab150681). Values are expressed as fold change (mean + SD, * p<0.01).
ab150681 has been referenced in 98 publications.
- Khan ES et al. Exogenous supply of Hsp47 triggers fibrillar collagen deposition in skin cell cultures in vitro. BMC Mol Cell Biol 21:22 (2020). PubMed: 32228452
- Khan HU et al. Food additive "lauric acid" possess non-toxic profile on biochemical, haematological and histopathological studies in female Sprague Dawley (SD) rats. PeerJ 8:e8805 (2020). PubMed: 32266118
- Vagnozzi RJ et al. An acute immune response underlies the benefit of cardiac stem cell therapy. Nature 577:405-409 (2020). PubMed: 31775156
- Podico G et al. Uterine responses and equine chorionic gonadotropin concentrations after two intrauterine infusions with kerosene post early fetal loss in mares. Theriogenology 147:202-210 (2020). PubMed: 31787468
- Luciani A et al. Impaired mitophagy links mitochondrial disease to epithelial stress in methylmalonyl-CoA mutase deficiency. Nat Commun 11:970 (2020). PubMed: 32080200