Key features and details
- GABAA antagonist
- CAS Number: 124-87-8
- Soluble in DMSO to 100 mM and in ethanol to 50 mM (with heating)
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Anamirta cocculus
Product namePicrotoxin, GABAA antagonist
Plant alkaloid. Non-competitive GABAA antagonist. Also inhibits homomeric glycine receptor. Convulsant in vivo.
5g pack supplied as 5x1g
Chemical name1:1 mixture of picrotoxinin and picrotin
Storage instructionsStore at Room Temperature. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM and in ethanol to 50 mM (with heating)
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120315 has been referenced in 62 publications.
- Wei XP et al. A novel reticular node in the brainstem synchronizes neonatal mouse crying with breathing. Neuron 110:644-657.e6 (2022). PubMed: 34998469
- Elmasri M et al. Common synaptic phenotypes arising from diverse mutations in the human NMDA receptor subunit GluN2A. Commun Biol 5:174 (2022). PubMed: 35228668
- Dingle YL et al. Integrated functional neuronal network analysis of 3D silk-collagen scaffold-based mouse cortical culture. STAR Protoc 2:100292 (2021). PubMed: 33537680
- Vierock J et al. BiPOLES is an optogenetic tool developed for bidirectional dual-color control of neurons. Nat Commun 12:4527 (2021). PubMed: 34312384
- Zhou Q et al. Celsr3 is required for Purkinje cell maturation and regulates cerebellar postsynaptic plasticity. iScience 24:102812 (2021). PubMed: 34308297