Product namePiroxicam, cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) inhibitor
DescriptionReversible, selective cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) inhibitor
Biological descriptionReversible, selective cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) inhibitor. Shows 8-fold greater activity against COX-1 than COX-2 (IC50 values are 0.76 and 8.99 μM for COX-1 and COX-2, respectively).
Chemical name4-Hydroxy-2-methyl-N-2-pyridinyl-2H-1,2-benzothiazine-3-carboxamide 1,1-dioxide
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Lipid and lipoprotein metabolism
- Cholesterol Metabolism
This product has been referenced in:
- Buharalioglu CK et al. Piroxicam reverses endotoxin-induced hypotension in rats: contribution of vasoactive eicosanoids and nitric oxide. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 109:186-94 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21463481) »
- Dannhardt G & Kiefer W Cyclooxygenase inhibitors--current status and future prospects. Eur J Med Chem 36:109-26 (2001). Read more (PubMed: 11311743) »
- Blanco FJ et al. Effect of antiinflammatory drugs on COX-1 and COX-2 activity in human articular chondrocytes. J Rheumatol 26:1366-73 (1999). Read more (PubMed: 10381057) »