Product namePonceau S Solution
Ponceau S Solution (ab270042) is a ready-to-use reversible stain which allows you to check the efficiency of electrophoretic transfer of SDS-denatured proteins to nitrocellulose and PVDF membranes. As little as 250 ng protein can be rapidly visualized with Ponceau S stain. Following staining, membranes can be de-stained with any buffer of pH >7 or by transfer of the membrane into blocking buffer (e.g. TBS/BSA).
This product is manufactured by Expedeon, an Abcam company. It was previously called Ponceau S Solution - 1L. Expedeon product code 5999-1L is the same as the 1000 mL size of this product.
- 1. After the transfer of proteins to the membrane of choice by western blotting, place the membrane in a suitable container and submerge the membrane in Ponceau S solution (i.e. before membrane blocking). Agitate gently at room temperature.
- 2. Colored protein bands will start to develop immediately, with maximum intensity typically reached within 1-5 minutes.
- 3. Remove membrane and rinse briefly with deionized water.
- 4. Red-colored bands should be visible, with little background staining on the membrane. (PVDF membranes may give higher backgrounds, but this does not hinder the assessment of whether electrophoretic transfer has been successful. Wash with 1-5% acetic acid for 5-10 minutes if a lower background is needed).
- 5. If the protein bands are to be excised for sequencing, remove the Ponceau S by transferring the membrane to buffer of pH >7 e.g. TBS pH 8.0, followed by a water wash. For western blotting analysis the membrane can be directly transferred to a preferred blocking buffer (e.g. BSA/TBS-T) which will automatically de-stain the membrane. Once blocking is complete, proceed with your normal primary/secondary antibody incubations.
Storage instructionsShipped at Room Temperature. Store at Room Temperature.
Storage bufferConstituents: 0.1% Ponceau S, 0.96% Acetic acid
Concentration information loading...
Runblue 4-12% Bis-Tris gel.
Lanes 1 to 8 Thermo Scientific Page Ruler Plus, lane 2 E.coli lysate, lane 3 Chicken lysate, lane 4 2 µg BSA, lane 5 1 µg BSA, lane 6 500 ng BSA, lane 7 250 ng BSA.
Following membrane transfer, users can directly incubate the blotting membrane (PVDF or nitrocellulose) in ~15ml of Ponceau S solution without the need for any wash steps. All transferred protein slowly becomes visible as red bands on the membrane, with highest intensity of staining reached within 5 minutes incubation with Ponceau S. Rinsing the membrane with water after Ponceau S staining can help reduce ‘background’ staining on the blotting membrane. The intensity of staining corresponds to the amount of protein transferred.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab270042 has not yet been referenced specifically in any publications.