Key features and details
- Assay type: Cell-based (quantitative)
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader, Fluor. microscope, Flow cyt.
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product name2-NBDG Glucose Uptake Assay Kit
See all 2-NBDG Glucose kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay typeCell-based (quantitative)
2-NBDG Glucose Uptake Assay Kit ab235976 provides a convenient tool for studying cellular glucose uptake. The kit uses 2-NBDG, a fluorescently-labeled deoxyglucose analog, as a probe for the detection of glucose taken up by cultured cells.
The 2-NBDG assay kit is suitable for analysis with flow cytometer, fluorescent microscope or microplate reader.
2-NBDG protocol summary:
- treat cells with experimental treatment in glucose-free medium
- add 2-NBDG and incubate for 10 min
- remove cell culture supernatant and wash cells with cell-based assay buffer
- add propidium iodide at this point to exclude dead cells if analyzing with flow cytometry
- add cell-based assay buffer and analyze immediately
2-NDG can be detected with filters designed to detect FITC (Ex/Em 485/535 nm).
PlatformMicroplate reader, Fluor. microscope, Flow cyt.
Storage instructionsPlease refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests Cell-Based Assay Apigenin 1 x 100µl Cell-Based Assay Buffer Tablet 1 tablet Cell-Based Assay NBD Glucose 1 x 500µl Cell-Based Propidium Iodide Solution 1 x 250µl
Jurkat (Human T cell leukemia cell line from peripheral blood) cells were equilibrated in glucose-free medium for two hours prior to being treated with the indicated dilution of NBD-glucose for 10 minutes at 37°C. Cells were washed and data were collected on a MACSQuant cytometer. NBD-glucose fluorescence within the live population is shown.
Datasheets and documents
ab235976 has been referenced in 7 publications.
- Song H et al. HIF-1α/YAP Signaling Rewrites Glucose/Iodine Metabolism Program to Promote Papillary Thyroid Cancer Progression. Int J Biol Sci 19:225-241 (2023). PubMed: 36594102
- Moens C et al. In vitro comparison of various antioxidants and flavonoids from Rooibos as beta cell protectants against lipotoxicity and oxidative stress-induced cell death. PLoS One 17:e0268551 (2022). PubMed: 35580081
- Regmi S et al. Enhanced viability and function of mesenchymal stromal cell spheroids is mediated via autophagy induction. Autophagy 17:2991-3010 (2021). PubMed: 33206581
- Shen W et al. Effect of selectively knocking down key metabolic genes in Müller glia on photoreceptor health. Glia 69:1966-1986 (2021). PubMed: 33835598
- Chen H et al. RNA N6-Methyladenosine Methyltransferase METTL3 Facilitates Colorectal Cancer by Activating the m6A-GLUT1-mTORC1 Axis and Is a Therapeutic Target. Gastroenterology 160:1284-1300.e16 (2021). PubMed: 33217448
- D' Fonseca NMM et al. Effect of Overfeeding Shetland Pony Mares on Embryonic Glucose and Lipid Accumulation, and Expression of Imprinted Genes. Animals (Basel) 11:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34573470
- Wang XL et al. Deficiency of the Circadian Clock Gene Bmal1 Reduces Microglial Immunometabolism. Front Immunol 11:586399 (2020). PubMed: 33363534