Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Lysate
- Sensitivity: 1 mU/ml
Product nameAcetylcholinesterase Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Acetylcholinesterase kits
Sample typeSerum, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time0h 30m
Acetylcholinesterase Assay Kit ab138871 provides a convenient colorimetric assay for the detection of AChE activity in blood, cell extracts and other samples from mammals and other species.
The acetylcholinesterase assay protocol uses DTNB to quantify the thiocholine produced from the hydrolysis of acetylthiocholine by AChE. The absorption intensity of DTNB adduct (410 nm) is used to measure the amount of thiocholine formed, which is proportional to the AChE activity.
The assay will detect as little as 0.1 mU AChE in a 100 µL assay volume (1 mU/mL).
Acetylcholinesterase assay protocol summary:
- add standards and samples to wells
- add acetylthiocholine reaction mix and incubate for 10-30 min at room temp
- analyze with a microplate reader
Please note this product does not differentiate between acetylcholesterase (AchE) or butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) activity as both enzymes can hydrolyze acetylcholine. However, an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor like Donepezil hydrochloride can be used as a control.
If you are looking for a fluorometric kit, we recommend Acetylcholinesterase Assay Kit (Fluorometric-Green) (ab133872) (Ex/Em = 490/520 nm) or Acetylcholinesterase Assay Kit (Fluorometric-Red) (ab133873) (Ex/Em = 540/590 nm).
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 200 tests Acetylcholinesterase Standard 1 x 5 units Acetylthiocholine 1 vial Assay Buffer 1 x 25ml DTNB 1 vial
FunctionTerminates signal transduction at the neuromuscular junction by rapid hydrolysis of the acetylcholine released into the synaptic cleft. Role in neuronal apoptosis.
Tissue specificityIsoform H is highly expressed in erythrocytes.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the type-B carboxylesterase/lipase family.
Cellular localizationCell membrane; Cell junction > synapse. Secreted. Cell membrane and Nucleus. Only observed in apoptotic nuclei.
- Information by UniProt
ab138871 was used to determine AChE activity in the cortex and in the hippocampus. AChE activity was measured at 410 nm.
AChE measured in mouse tissue lysates showing quantity (mU) per mg protein of tested sample
AChE measured in cell lysates showing quantity (mU) per 1 mln of tested cells
AChE measured in biological fluids showing quantity (mU) per mL of tested sample
Acetylcholinesterase dose response was measured in a white/clear bottom 96-well plate with ab138871 Acetylcholinesterase Assay Kit (Colorimetric) using a microplate reader. As low as 0.1 mU/well of acetylcholinesterase can be detected with 30 minutes incubation (n=3)
ab138871 has been referenced in 46 publications.
- Zhang H et al. The Effect of Guilingji Capsules on Vascular Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2022:4778163 (2022). PubMed: 35116067
- Aykac A et al. A multi-parameter evaluation of the neuroprotective and cognitive-enhancing effects of Origanum onites L. (Turkish Oregano) essential oil on scopolamine-induced amnestic rats. Metab Brain Dis 37:1041-1055 (2022). PubMed: 35201555
- Girard MP et al. Chemical Synthesis and Biological Activities of Amaryllidaceae Alkaloid Norbelladine Derivatives and Precursors. Molecules 27:N/A (2022). PubMed: 36080382
- Guo Q et al. Novel small molecular compound 2JY-OBZ4 alleviates AD pathology in cell models via regulating multiple targets. Aging (Albany NY) 14:8077-8094 (2022). PubMed: 36227154
- Uras G et al. Development of p-Tau Differentiated Cell Model of Alzheimer's Disease to Screen Novel Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors. Int J Mol Sci 23:N/A (2022). PubMed: 36499118