ALDH Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab155893)
Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Culture Media
- Sensitivity: 0.5 mU/well
Product nameALDH Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Serum, Plasma, Cell Lysate, Tissue Culture Media
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 0.5 mU/well
Assay time0h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
ALDH Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab155893) is a simple, fast and reliable method to quantify the ALDH enzymatic activity. In this assay, acetaldehyde is oxidized by ALDH generating NADH which then reduces a colorless probe to a colored product with strong absorbance at 450 nm. The assay can detect < 0.5 mU of ALDH activity in a variety of samples.
ALDH assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 20-60 min
- analyze with a microplate reader at 5 min and 20-60 min
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K731 Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Activity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K731-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab155893.
The NAD-dependent Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) plays a vital role in cellular detoxification. It oxidizes various aldehydes and generates the corresponding carboxyolic acid. ALDH have been found in every cellular compartment. Based on its structure and function, ALDH comprises 3 major classes in mammals: Class 1 and Class 3 (the tumor form) are located in the cytosol and include both constitutive and induced forms; Class 2 is located in the mitochondria and only exists as the constitutive form. In humans, the ALDH superfamily consists of 19 genes. The mutation of ALDH genes (loss of function) causes human diseases such as Type II hyperprolinemia, pyridoxine-dependent seizure and hyperammonemia. Recent studies show that increased ALDH activity leads to several types of malignancies, serves as a cancer stem cell marker and correlates with poor prognosis.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Acetaldehyde Purple 1 x 0.5ml ALDH Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml ALDH Positive Control Green 1 vial ALDH Substrate Mix Red 1 vial NADH Standard Yellow 1 vial
Standard curve (60 minutes incubation) showing mean of duplicates (+/- SD) with background reads subtracted.
Typical OD of the diffrent positive contols mesuared over 1 hour.
ALDH activity measured in human biological fluids (T1=5 min; T2=60 min), showing activity (mU) per mL of tested sample, background signal subtracted.
Datasheets and documents
ab155893 has been referenced in 11 publications.
- Lee HY et al. Turmeric extract (Curcuma longa L.) regulates hepatic toxicity in a single ethanol binge rat model. Heliyon 8:e10737 (2022). PubMed: 36193527
- Abdelwahab EMM et al. Normalization of Enzyme Expression and Activity Regulating Vitamin A Metabolism Increases RAR-Beta Expression and Reduces Cellular Migration and Proliferation in Diseases Caused by Tuberous Sclerosis Gene Mutations. Front Oncol 11:644592 (2021). PubMed: 34178631
- Liu Y et al. In vivo selection of highly metastatic human ovarian cancer sublines reveals role for AMIGO2 in intra-peritoneal metastatic regulation. Cancer Lett 503:163-173 (2021). PubMed: 33524500
- Yano S et al. Electrolyzed Hydrogen Water Protects against Ethanol-Induced Cytotoxicity by Regulating Aldehyde Metabolism-Associated Enzymes in the Hepatic Cell Line HepG2. Antioxidants (Basel) 10:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34069398
- Je J et al. Combined Water Extracts from Oxidation-Treated Leaves and Branches of Hovenia dulcis Has Anti-Hangover and Liver Protective Effects in Binge Alcohol Intake of Male Mice. Nutrients 13:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34959956