Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr 20 min
- Sample type: Plasma, Saliva, Serum, Urine
Product nameBile Acid Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
Sample typeSaliva, Urine, Serum, Plasma
Assay time1h 20m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Bile Acid Assay Kit (Colorimetric) ab239702 provides a simple, sensitive, and high-throughput suitable approach to quantify the concentration of total bile acid in biological fluids.
The bile acid assay is based on an enzymatic cycling method in the presence of NADH and a chromophore. The reduction of the chromophore produces a stable colorimetric product the absorbance of which can be followed kinetically at 405 nm on a multi-well spectrophotometer. This absorbance is directly proportional to the amount of total bile acids in the sample.
Other metabolites found in biofluids do not interfere with the assay.
The assay can detect as little as 1 µM of Bile Acids in a variety of samples.
Bile acid assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add probe mix and incubate at 37°C for 10 min
- add reaction mix
- measure absorbance at 405 nm for 60 min at 37°C in a kinetic mode
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K209 Total Bile Acids (TBA) Assay Kit (Colorimetric). K209-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab239702.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests NADH 1 vial TBA Cycling Assay Buffer 1 x 7ml TBA Cycling Enzyme Mix 1 vial TBA Probe 1 vial TBA Probe Buffer 1 x 14ml TBA Standard (100 mM) 1 vial
RelevanceBile Acids (BA) make 67% of the total composition of Bile. They are 24-carbon steroids generated during cholesterol metabolism. They form conjugates with either glycine or taurine to form bile salts. Five of the BAs account for more than 99% of the total population found in biofluids. The average composition in healthy individuals includes conjugates of cholic, chenodeoxycholic, deoxycholic and lithocholic acids. Bile acids are critical due to their ability to solubilize lipids by forming micelles with cholesterol, and fatty acids. Their synthesis is not only critical for the removal of cholesterol from the body abut they are also needed for proper uptake of dietary lipids into the small intestine.
Datasheets and documents
ab239702 has been referenced in 5 publications.
- Khakisahneh S et al. Cecal microbial transplantation attenuates hyperthyroid-induced thermogenesis in Mongolian gerbils. Microb Biotechnol 15:817-831 (2022). PubMed: 33729663
- Hanley KL et al. Concurrent Disruption of the Ras/MAPK and NF-κB Pathways Induces Circadian Deregulation and Hepatocarcinogenesis. Mol Cancer Res 20:337-349 (2022). PubMed: 34810213
- Nouri Z et al. The microbiota-gut-kidney axis mediates host osmoregulation in a small desert mammal. NPJ Biofilms Microbiomes 8:16 (2022). PubMed: 35379849
- Wei G et al. Synthetic human ABCB4 mRNA therapy rescues severe liver disease phenotype in a BALB/c.Abcb4-/- mouse model of PFIC3. J Hepatol 74:1416-1428 (2021). PubMed: 33340584
- Xing C et al. Sleep Disturbance Induces Increased Cholesterol Level by NR1D1 Mediated CYP7A1 Inhibition. Front Genet 11:610496 (2020). PubMed: 33424933