Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity (quantitative)
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Lysate, Urine
Product nameCatalase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric)
See all Catalase kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Cell Lysate, Tissue Lysate
Assay typeEnzyme activity (quantitative)
Assay time0h 40m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals
Catalase Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) (ab83464) is a highly sensitive, simple and direct assay for measuring catalase activity in a variety of biological samples such as cell and tissue lysates or biological fluids.
In the catalase activity assay protocol, the catalase present in the sample reacts with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to produce water and oxygen. The unconverted H2O2 reacts with probe to produce a product that can be measured colorimetrically at OD 570 nm or fluorometrically at Ex/Em = 535/587 nm. Therefore, the catalase activity present in the sample is reversely proportional to the signal obtained. The kit can detect as little as 1 µU of catalase activity.
Catalase activity assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add stop solution into sample control wells and incubate at 25ºC for 5 min
- add H2O2 solution into wells and incubate for 30 min at 25ºC
- add stop solution
- add developer mix and incubate for 10 min at 25ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K773 Catalase Activity Colorimetric/Fluorometric Assay Kit. K773-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab83464.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests 2000 tests Assay Buffer VIII 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Catalase Positive Control 1 x 2µl 20 x 2µl Developer Solution V 1 vial 20 vials Hydrogen Peroxide Solution II 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml OxiRed™ Probe 1 x 200µl 20 x 200µl Stop Solution III 1 x 1ml 20 x 1ml
FunctionOccurs in almost all aerobically respiring organisms and serves to protect cells from the toxic effects of hydrogen peroxide. Promotes growth of cells including T-cells, B-cells, myeloid leukemia cells, melanoma cells, mastocytoma cells and normal and transformed fibroblast cells.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in CAT are the cause of acatalasia (ACATLAS) [MIM:115500]; also known as acatalasemia. This disease is characterized by absence of catalase activity in red cells and is often associated with ulcerating oral lesions.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the catalase family.
modificationsThe N-terminus is blocked.
- Information by UniProt
ab83464 has been referenced in 84 publications.
- Meng J & Xu C MicroRNA-495-3p diminishes doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity through activating AKT. J Cell Mol Med 26:2076-2088 (2022). PubMed: 35152537
- Abbas AO et al. Citrullus colocynthis Seed Ameliorates Layer Performance and Immune Response under Acute Oxidative Stress Induced by Paraquat Injection. Animals (Basel) 12:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35454193
- Zhang D et al. Hydrogen Peroxide Scavenging Restores N-Type Calcium Channels in Cardiac Vagal Postganglionic Neurons and Mitigates Myocardial Infarction-Evoked Ventricular Arrhythmias in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Front Cardiovasc Med 9:871852 (2022). PubMed: 35548411
- Younis NS ß-Caryophyllene Ameliorates Cyclophosphamide Induced Cardiac Injury: The Association of TLR4/NF?B and Nrf2/HO1/NQO1 Pathways. J Cardiovasc Dev Dis 9:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35621844
- Balta I et al. The Antioxidant Effect of Natural Antimicrobials in Shrimp Primary Intestinal Cells Infected with Nematopsis messor. Antioxidants (Basel) 11:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35624838