Cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8) (ab228554)
Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameCell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8)
See all Cell viability/proliferation kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8 / CCK8) (ab228554) provides a convenient and robust way of performing a cell viability assay. The kit uses a water-soluble tetrazolium salt to quantify the number of live cells by producing an orange formazan dye upon bio-reduction in the presence of an electron carrier.
WST-8 / CCK8 solution is added directly to the test cells with no pre-mixing of components required.
WST-8 / CCK8 tetrazolium salt is reduced by cellular dehydrogenases to an orange formazan product that is soluble in tissue culture medium. The amount of formazan produced is directly proportional to the number of living cells and is measured by absorbance at 460 nm.
The excellent stability and little cytotoxicity of the WST-8 / CCK8 solution make the kit useful for assays that require long incubation (such as 24 to 48 hours).
The detection sensitivity is higher than with other tetrazolium salt-based assays such as MTT, XTT or MTS etc.
Review the cell health assay guide to learn about other kits to perform a cell viability assay, cytotoxicity assay or cell proliferation assay.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests WST-8 Solution 1 x 10ml
RelevanceCell proliferation is the multiplication or reproduction of cells, as a result of cell growth and cell division, resulting in the expansion of a cell population.
- Cell Cytotoxicity
- cell tracking
Cytotoxicity tests of HeLa cells in response to (A) SDS and (B) Staurosporine treatment were measured with The cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8) (ab228554). HeLa cells at 10,000 cells/well/100 μL were seeded overnight in a black wall/clear bottom 96-well plate. Cells were treated with serially diluted SDS for 2 hours or Staurosporine for 4 hours. The absorbance was measured at 460 nm using a plate reader.
Cell number was determined with the cell Counting Kit 8 (WST-8) (ab228554). (A) HeLa cells at 0 to 10,000 cells/well/100 μL, and (B) Jurkat cells at 0 to 100,000 cells/well/100 μL were added in a clear bottom 96-well plate. The absorbance was measured at 460 nm using a plate reader.
Datasheets and documents
ab228554 has been referenced in 156 publications.
- Wang SM et al. Nucleoporin POM121 signals TFEB-mediated autophagy via activation of SIGMAR1/sigma-1 receptor chaperone by pridopidine. Autophagy 19:126-151 (2023). PubMed: 35507432
- Wu F et al. Immunological profiles of human oligodendrogliomas define two distinct molecular subtypes. EBioMedicine 87:104410 (2023). PubMed: 36525723
- Shou Y et al. Mechano-responsive hydrogel for direct stem cell manufacturing to therapy. Bioact Mater 24:387-400 (2023). PubMed: 36632503
- Feng Y et al. Qi Ling decoction enhances abiraterone treatment via suppression of autophagy in castration resistant prostate cancer. Aging (Albany NY) 14:9942-9950 (2022). PubMed: 36541904
- Lei L et al. HIF-1α Causes LCMT1/PP2A Deficiency and Mediates Tau Hyperphosphorylation and Cognitive Dysfunction during Chronic Hypoxia. Int J Mol Sci 23:N/A (2022). PubMed: 36555780