Key features and details
- Assay type: Cell-based
- Detection method: Fluorescent
Product nameCFSE - Cell Labeling Kit
See all Cell labeling kits
CFSE is a versatile tool for the fluorescent intracellular labeling of live cells. Labeled cells can be assayed using flow cytometry and fluorescent microscopy. The dye is long lasting and well retained within labeled cells. The provided CFSE is sufficient for ~1000 assays.
CFDA-SE (carboxyfluorescein diacetate succinimidyl ester) is a cell permeant molecule and is cleaved by intracellular esterases. The resulting fluorescent molecule CFSE (Carboxyfluorescein succinimidyl ester) indiscriminately with intracellular free amines to generate covalent fluorescent dye-protein conjugates. The result is live cells with an intracellular fluorescent label. At appropriate concentrations CFSE is non-toxic to cells and the fluorescence is retained after formaldehyde and alcohol fixation. CFSE labeled cells can be detected with any instrument or filter set compatible with FITC detection: Excitation(max)=492nm, Emission(max)=517nm.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests 10mM CFSE (in DMSO) 1 x 100µl
Duplexing treated and untreated cells in a single sample. One plate of HeLa cells was labeled with ab113853 (CFSE) and a second plate was treated with the hypoxia mimetic DFO but not labeled with CFSE. After harvesting, the cells were combined in a single tube, stained with a HIF1A antibody and subjected to flow cytometry. Expected results are shown in the left panel cartoon. The no primary antibody control sample (middle panel) shows the resolution of CFSE labeled and unlabeled cells. The HIF1A antibody stained cells (right panel) shows that only cells exposed to DFO have an increase in HIF1A protein levels.
Flow cytometry analysis of ab113853 (CFSE) dilution with cell division. Jurkat cells were labeled with 1µM CFSE on day0 and then a portion of the culture was subjected to flow cytometry analysis on days 1-7. Shown, an overlay histogram of the daily CFSE fluorescence intensity.
Jurkat cells labeled with ab113853 (CFSE). Jurkat cells were labeled with 1mM CFSE in media for 15 minutes, washed once with PBS and imaged on a flurorescence microscope. The cells in this image are live but fixed cells give similar results.
ab113853 has been referenced in 20 publications.
- Even KM et al. Comparing the immunomodulatory properties of equine BM-MSCs culture expanded in autologous platelet lysate, pooled platelet lysate, equine serum and fetal bovine serum supplemented culture media. Front Vet Sci 9:958724 (2022). PubMed: 36090170
- Wu Z et al. Microfluidic Printing of Tunable Hollow Microfibers for Vascular Tissue Engineering. Adv Mater Technol 6:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34458563
- Giuliani G et al. SCA-1 micro-heterogeneity in the fate decision of dystrophic fibro/adipogenic progenitors. Cell Death Dis 12:122 (2021). PubMed: 33495447
- Dai Y & Gao X Inhibition of cancer cell-derived exosomal microRNA-183 suppresses cell growth and metastasis in prostate cancer by upregulating TPM1. Cancer Cell Int 21:145 (2021). PubMed: 33653339
- Hagi T et al. Anti-metastatic effect of methylprednisolone targeting vascular endothelial cells under surgical stress. Sci Rep 11:6268 (2021). PubMed: 33737522