Complex IV Human Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit (ab109909)
Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Tissue
Product nameComplex IV Human Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit
See all Complex IV kits
Sample typeCell culture extracts, Tissue
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Species reactivityReacts with: Cow, Human, Pig
Does not react with: Mouse, Rat
The Complex IV Human Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit is used to determine the activity of cytochrome c oxidase in a human sample with greater speed and simplicity. The COX enzyme is immunocaptured within the wells of the microplate and activity is determined colorimetrically by following the oxidation of reduced cytochrome c by the absorbance change at 550 nm. Included in this kit for performance of the activity assay are buffer, detergent, substrate, and 96-well microplate with monoclonal antibody pre-bound to the wells of the plate, allowing for a stream-lined assay.
Store Tube 1, detergent, and microplate at 4°C – DO NOT FREEZE. Store Reagent C at -20°C or at -80°C for long-term storage.
Range of complex IV / cytochrome c oxidase assay kits
Biochemical assay - ab239711
Immunocapture with biochemical assay (plate-based)*** - ab109911 (rodent) and ab109909 (human) (this kit)
*** Most popular assay format
Immunocapture with biochemical assay (dipstick) - ab109878 (rodent) and ab109876 (human)
Immunocapture with biochemical assay and ELISA - ab109910 (human)
ELISA - ab179880 (human)
Other related products
Review the mitochondrial assay guide, or the full metabolism assay guide to learn about more assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
Storage instructionsPlease refer to protocols.
Components 96 tests 96-well microplate (12 strips) 1 unit Tube 1 (Buffer) 1 x 10ml Detergent 1 x 1ml Reagent C (Reduced Cytochrome c) 1 x 1ml
- Cytochrome c oxidase
- Cytochrome oxidase
- Entrez Gene: 4512 Human
- Entrez Gene: 4513 Human
- Entrez Gene: 4514 Human
- Entrez Gene: 1345 Human
- Entrez Gene: 1351 Human
- Entrez Gene: 1329 Human
- Entrez Gene: 1349 Human
- Entrez Gene: 1337 Human
Figure 1. To determine the activity in the sample, calculate the slope by using microplate software or by manual calculations using one of the two methods shown. Compare the sample rate with the rate of the control (normal) sample and with the rate of the null (background) to get the relative Complex IV activity. (A)The rate is determined by calculating the gradient of the initial slope over the linear region. (B) The rate is determined by calculating the slope between two points within the linear region.
Abcam's enzyme activity assays apply a novel approach, whereby target enzymes are first immunocaptured from tissue or cell samples before subsequent functional analysis. All of our ELISA kits utilize highly validated monoclonal antibodies and proprietary buffers, which are able to capture even very large enzyme complexes in their fully-intact, functionally-active states.
Capture antibodies are pre-coated in the wells of premium Nunc MaxiSorp™ modular microplates, which can be broken into 8-well strips. After the target has been immobilized in the well, substrate is added, and enzyme activity is analyzed by measuring the change in absorbance of either the substrate or the product of the reaction (depending upon which enzyme is being analyzed). By analyzing the enzyme's activity in an isolated context, outside of the cell and free from any other variables, an accurate measurement of the enzyme's functional state can be understood.
Datasheets and documents
ab109909 has been referenced in 42 publications.
- Rajab BS et al. Differential remodelling of mitochondrial subpopulations and mitochondrial dysfunction are a feature of early stage diabetes. Sci Rep 12:978 (2022). PubMed: 35046471
- Zhu Z et al. FKBP4 regulates 5-fluorouracil sensitivity in colon cancer by controlling mitochondrial respiration. Life Sci Alliance 5:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35981890
- Acoba MG et al. The mitochondrial carrier SFXN1 is critical for complex III integrity and cellular metabolism. Cell Rep 34:108869 (2021). PubMed: 33730581
- Li J et al. Association of Mitochondrial Biogenesis With Variable Penetrance of Schizophrenia. JAMA Psychiatry 78:911-921 (2021). PubMed: 34009292
- Ramchandani D et al. Copper depletion modulates mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation to impair triple negative breast cancer metastasis. Nat Commun 12:7311 (2021). PubMed: 34911956