Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Tissue, Urine
- Sensitivity: 0.04 µg/ml
Product nameGlycogen Assay Kit
See all Glycogen kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Other biological fluids, Tissue
Sensitivity> 0.04 µg/ml
Range40 ng/well - 2000 ng/well
Assay time1h 00m
Glycogen Assay Kit ab65620 is an easy and accurate assay to measure glycogen levels in biological samples. In the glycogen assay protocol, glucoamylase hydrolyzes the glycogen to glucose which is then specifically oxidized to produce a product that reacts with OxiRed probe to generate color (570 nm) and fluorescence (Ex 535/Em 587). The assay can detect glycogen 0.04 to 2 µg/well.
Glycogen assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add hydrolysis enzyme mix and incubate for 30 min
- add reaction mix and incubate for 30 min
- analyze with microplate reader
If your sample is likely to contain reducing substances, we recommend using Glycogen Assay Kit II (ab169558), as reducing substances may interfere with the assay detection method.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K646 Glycogen Colorimetric/Fluorometric Assay Kit. K646-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65620.
Review our Metabolism Assay Guide to learn about assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also about how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
How other researchers have used Glycogen Assay Kit ab65620
The glycogen assay kit has been used in publications in a variety of sample types, including:
- Human: muscle tissue1
- Mouse: muscle tissue lysates2, muscle and liver tissue3, liver4, cultured muscle myotubes5, astrocyte primary cell lysates6,
- Rat: liver7, neuron-astrocyte co-cultures8
- Bacteria: M. buryatense9, Haemophilus influenzae10
References: 1 - Vaughan D et al 2016, Trewin AJ et al 2015; 2 - Baligand C et al 2017, Riedl et al 2016, Wicks SE et al 2015, Todd AG et al 2015, Lundell LS et al 2019, Kim HY et al 2016, Amoasii et al 2016; 3 - Xirouchaki CE et al 2016, Pamir N et al 2015, Zachwieja NJ et al 2016; 4 - Pursell et al 2018; 5 - Park M et al 2016; 6 - Choudhury GR et al 2015; 7 - Xiang L et al 2014, Guo J et al 2018; 8 - Sobieski C et al 2018; 9 - Puri AW et al 2015; 10 - Wu S et al 2014
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests 2000 tests Assay Buffer II 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Assay Buffer VIII 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Development Enzyme Mix II 1 vial 20 vials Glycogen Standard 1 x 100µl 20 x 100µl Hydrolysis Enzyme Mix I 1 vial 20 vials OxiRed™ Probe 1 x 200µl 20 x 200µl
RelevanceGlycogen is the primary short term energy storage molecule in animals. It is synthesized primarily in the liver and muscle. Glycogen is a highly branched polymer of glucose molecules, connected with an alpha-1,4 linkage, branching via an alpha-1,6 linkage. Abnormal ability to utilize glycogen is found in diabetes and in several genetic glycogen storage diseases.
Total glycogen levels in C576bL6 mice astrocytes were determined by using Glycogen assay kit (ab65620). At 24 hours following OGD-reoxygenation, astrocytes had less glycogen levels compared to normoxia control. Astrocytes treated with Methylene blue (MB) showed a higher glycogen content compared to non-MB treated, OGD-reoxygenation astrocytes. * p < 0.05; ## p < 0.001 Vs. OGD-reoxygenation control / 0 μM MB.
Example of fluorometric standard curve using Glycogen Assay Kit (ab65620).
Measurement of glycogen in various mouse tissues using Glycogen Assay Kit (ab65620).
Glycogen concentration measured in MBA-MB-231 cells (human breast adenocarcinoma cell line). 106 cells were prepared following protocol instructions, and several dilutions were measured using fluorometric detection.
ab65620 has been referenced in 135 publications.
- Maier G et al. Transcriptomic, proteomic and phosphoproteomic underpinnings of daily exercise performance and zeitgeber activity of training in mouse muscle. J Physiol 600:769-796 (2022). PubMed: 34142717
- Eggers M et al. Muscle-directed gene therapy corrects Pompe disease and uncovers species-specific GAA immunogenicity. EMBO Mol Med 14:e13968 (2022). PubMed: 34850579
- Yang S et al. MicroRNA-193b impairs muscle growth in mouse models of type 2 diabetes by targeting the PDK1/Akt signalling pathway. Diabetologia 65:563-581 (2022). PubMed: 34913989
- Cen HH et al. Human and mouse muscle transcriptomic analyses identify insulin receptor mRNA downregulation in hyperinsulinemia-associated insulin resistance. FASEB J 36:e22088 (2022). PubMed: 34921686
- Xia H et al. Insulin action and resistance are dependent on a GSK3ß-FBXW7-ERRa transcriptional axis. Nat Commun 13:2105 (2022). PubMed: 35440636