Key features and details
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Sample type: Cell Lysate, Tissue Homogenate
Product nameGSH Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Glutathione kits
Sample typeCell Lysate, Tissue Homogenate
GSH Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab239727) provides a simple in vitro assay for detecting reduced GSH levels in apoptosis and other pathological processes. The Kit is based on an enzymatic cycling method in the presence of GSH and a chromophore. The reduction of the chromophore produces a stable product, which can be followed kinetically at 450 nm. Therefore, its absorbance is directly proportional to the amount of GSH in the sample.
The assay is simple, reproducible and can specifically detect as low as 50 pmol/well of reduced form of Glutathione (GSH) in a 100 µl reaction.
This assay specifically detects reduced glutathione. Oxidized GSSG is not detected.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K464 Reduced Glutathione (GSH) Assay Kit (Colorimetric). K464-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab239727.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 100 tests Enzyme Mix A 1 x 15µl Enzyme Mix B 1 x 120µl Enzyme Mix C 1 vial GSH Assay Buffer 1 x 50ml GSH Standard 1 vial Substrate Mix A 1 x 1ml Substrate Mix B 1 vial Sulfosalicylic Acid (SSA, 1 gram) 1 unit
RelevanceGlutathione is a small peptide composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine and is present in tissues in concentrations as high as one millimolar. It contains an unusual peptide linkage between the amine group of cysteine and the carboxyl group of the glutamate side chain. Glutathione is involved in detoxification, it binds to toxins, such as heavy metals, solvents, and pesticides, and transforms them into a form that can be excreted in urine or bile. It is also an important antioxidant, helping to maintain the -SH groups of proteins in their reduced form. Chronic functional glutathione deficiency is associated with glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, immune disorders, an increased incidence of malignancies, and in the case of HIV disease, probably accelerated pathogenesis of the disease. Acute manifestations of functional glutathione deficiency can be seen in those who have taken an overdosage of acetaminophen (paracetamol). This results in depletion of glutathione in the hepatocytes, leading to liver failure and death.
- Oxidised glutathione
- Reduced glutathione
ab239727 has been referenced in 13 publications.
- Mohamed ME et al. The Protective Effect of Anethole against Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion: The Role of the TLR2,4/MYD88/NF?B Pathway. Antioxidants (Basel) 11:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35326185
- Liu B & Wang H Oxaliplatin induces ferroptosis and oxidative stress in HT29 colorectal cancer cells by inhibiting the Nrf2 signaling pathway. Exp Ther Med 23:394 (2022). PubMed: 35495610
- Zhu G et al. Inhibition of USP14 suppresses ferroptosis and inflammation in LPS-induced goat mammary epithelial cells through ubiquitylating the IL-6 protein. Hereditas 159:21 (2022). PubMed: 35549778
- Shi Y et al. Selenium Alleviates Cerebral Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury by Regulating Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Fusion and Ferroptosis. Neurochem Res 47:2992-3002 (2022). PubMed: 35725978
- DeDiego ML et al. Iron oxide and iron oxyhydroxide nanoparticles impair SARS-CoV-2 infection of cultured cells. J Nanobiotechnology 20:352 (2022). PubMed: 35907835