LDH Assay Kit (Cytotoxicity) (ab65391)
Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Product nameLDH Assay Kit (Cytotoxicity)
See all Lactate Dehydrogenase kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time1h 00m
For a more sensitive LDH Assay Kit to use as a cytotoxicity assay, we recommend ab65393.
LDH Assay Kit (Cytotoxicity) ab65391 provides a fast and simple method for quantitating cytotoxicity based on the measurement of activity of lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) released from damaged cells.
The assay takes ~0.5-1 hr. LDH activity can be determined by a coupled enzymatic reaction: LDH oxidizes lactate to pyruvate which then reacts with tetrazolium salt INT to form formazan. The increase in the amount of formazan produced in culture supernatant directly correlates to the increase in the number of lysed cells. The formazan dye is water-soluble and can be detected by spectrophotometer at 500 nm.
This kit was previously called LDH-Cytotoxicity Assay Kit I.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K311 LDH-Cytotoxicity Colorimetric Assay Kit. K311-400 is the same size as the 400 test size of ab65391.
Cell death or cytotoxicity is classically evaluated by the quantification of plasma membrane damage. Unlike many other cytoplasmic enzymes which exist in many cells either in low amount (e.g., alkaline and acid phosphatase) or unstable, LDH is a stable cytoplasmic enzyme present in all cells and rapidly released into the cell culture supernatant upon damage of the plasma membrane.
If you would like to use a fluorometric reading, please refer to LDH-Cytotoxicity Assay Kit (Fluorometric) (ab197004).
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 400 tests 8000 tests Catalyst (Lyophilized) 1 vial 20 vials Dye Solution 1 x 45ml 20 x 45ml
- Pathways and Processes
- Metabolic signaling pathways
- Energy transfer pathways
- Energy Metabolism
PathwayFermentation; pyruvate fermentation to lactate; (S)-lactate from pyruvate: step 1/1.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in LDHA are the cause of glycogen storage disease type 11 (GSD11) [MIM:612933]. A metabolic disorder that results in exertional myoglobinuria, pain, cramps and easy fatigue.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the LDH/MDH superfamily. LDH family.
- Information by UniProt
- Cell proliferation-inducing gene 19 protein
- L lactate dehydrogenase B chain
Datasheets and documents
ab65391 has been referenced in 30 publications.
- Li Y et al. Scutellaria barbata Inhibits Hepatocellular Carcinoma Tumorigenicity by Inducing Ferroptosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells. Front Oncol 12:693395 (2022). PubMed: 35321425
- Borkar NA et al. Kisspeptins inhibit human airway smooth muscle proliferation. JCI Insight 7:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35420998
- Tolardo V et al. In Vitro High-Throughput Toxicological Assessment of Nanoplastics. Nanomaterials (Basel) 12:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35745286
- Hyldbakk A et al. Identification of novel cyanoacrylate monomers for use in nanoparticle drug delivery systems prepared by miniemulsion polymerisation - A multistep screening approach. Int J Pharm X 4:100124 (2022). PubMed: 35898812
- Kong X et al. Transcranial Direct-Current Stimulation Regulates MCT1-PPA-PTEN-LONP1 Signaling to Confer Neuroprotection After Rat Cerebral Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury. Mol Neurobiol 59:7423-7438 (2022). PubMed: 36190692