Magnesium Assay Kit (ab102506)
Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture media, Cell Lysate, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 40 µM
Product nameMagnesium Assay Kit
See all Magnesium kits
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts, Cell Lysate, Cell culture media
Range2 µM - 15 µM
Assay time0h 30m
Magnesium Assay Kit (ab102506) is a simple sensitive assay for quantitating magnesium in a variety of biological samples. The kit takes advantage of the specific requirement of glycerol kinase for Mg2+. An enzyme linked reaction leads to formation of an intensely colored (λmax = 450nm) product whose formation is proportional to Mg2+ concentration. The linear range of the assay is 2-15 nmoles with detection sensitivity ~40 µM.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K385 Magnesium Colorimetric Assay Kit. K385-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab102506.
Magnesium is the 11th most abundant element by mass in the human body. Mg2+ is essential to all living cells where it plays an important role in facilitating the processing of biological polyphosphates like ATP, DNA, RNA and enzyme functions. Mg2+ is the metallic ion at the center of chlorophyll, and a common additive to fertilizers. Mg2+ compounds are used as laxatives, antacids, and used to stabilize abnormal nerve excitation and blood vessel spasm i.e., eclampsia.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests Magnesium Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Magnesium Developer Purple 1 unit 20 units Magnesium Enzyme Mix Green 1 unit 20 units Magnesium Standard Yellow 1 x 0.1ml 20 x 0.1ml
RelevanceMagnesium is the 11th most abundant element by mass in the human body. Magnesium is essential to all living cells where it plays an important role in facilitating the processing of biological polyphosphates like ATP, DNA, RNA and enzyme functions. Magnesium is the metallic ion at the center of chlorophyll, and a common additive to fertilizers. Magnesium compounds are used as laxatives, antacids, and used to stabilize abnormal nerve excitation and blood vessel spasm i.e., eclampsia.
Magnesium measured in mouse tissue lysates showing quantity (nmol) per mg protein of tested sample
Magnesium measured in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per microliter of tested sample
Colourimetric standard curve : mean of duplicates (+/-SD) with background reads substracted
Magnesium standard curve: Assay is performed according to kit protocol. Vertical dotted lines indicate the lower and upper limits of normal serum Magnesium concentrations.
Datasheets and documents
ab102506 has been referenced in 4 publications.
- Kwon JG et al. Mouse feeding study and microbiome analysis of sourdough bread for evaluation of its health effects. Front Microbiol 13:989421 (2022). PubMed: 36212840
- Roller BL et al. Elution properties of a resorbable magnesium phosphate cement. J Clin Orthop Trauma 11:S729-S734 (2020). PubMed: 32999547
- Lanaspa MA et al. Ketohexokinase C blockade ameliorates fructose-induced metabolic dysfunction in fructose-sensitive mice. J Clin Invest 128:2226-2238 (2018). PubMed: 29533924
- Zhang LW & Warrington JP Magnesium Sulfate Prevents Placental Ischemia-Induced Increases in Brain Water Content and Cerebrospinal Fluid Cytokines in Pregnant Rats. Front Neurosci 10:561 (2016). Rat . PubMed: 28008305