Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Other biological fluids, Serum, Tissue Homogenate, Urine
Product nameMyeloperoxidase (MPO) Activity Assay Kit (Colorimetric)
See all Myeloperoxidase kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Urine, Serum, Other biological fluids, Tissue Homogenate
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Myeloperoxidase (MPO) Activity Assay Kit ab105136 is a rapid, simple, sensitive, and reliable colorimetric assay suitable for use as a high throughput MPO activity assay.
In the MPO assay protocol, myeloperoxidase produces HClO from H2O2 and Cl-. The HClO reacts with taurine to generate the taurine chloramine, which subsequently reacts with the DTNB probe to eliminate color (absorbance at 412 nm). The absorbance is inversely proportional to the amount of MPO enzyme.
This MPO assay kit can be used to detect myeloperoxidase as low as 0.05 mU per well.
MPO assay protocol summary:
- add samples to wells (and assay buffer only to wells for standards)
- add reaction mix to sample wells and incubate for 30 min to 2 hrs
- add stop mix and incubate for 10 min
- add TNB reagent/standard to all wells and incubate for 5-10 min
- analyze with a microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K744 Myeloperoxidase (MPO) Colorimetric Activity Assay Kit. K744-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab105136.
Myeloperoxidase (MPO) is a peroxidase enzyme (EC 184.108.40.206) most abundantly expressed in neutrophil granulocytes. It is a lysosomal protein stored in the azurophilic granules of the neutrophil. Myeloperoxidase contains a heme pigment which causes its green color in secretions rich in neutrophils, such as pus and some forms of mucus. Myeloperoxidase catalyzes the production of hypochlorous acid (HClO) from hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and chloride anion (Cl-, or the equivalent from a non-chlorine halide). Myeloperoxidase also oxidizes tyrosine to a tyrosyl radical using hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizing agent.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests DTNB Probe Red 1 x 50µl MPO Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml MPO Positive Control (lyophilized) Purple 1 vial MPO Substrate Stock Blue 1 x 50µl Stop Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 x 20µl TCEP (50mM) Clear 1 x 50µl
FunctionPart of the host defense system of polymorphonuclear leukocytes. It is responsible for microbicidal activity against a wide range of organisms. In the stimulated PMN, MPO catalyzes the production of hypohalous acids, primarily hypochlorous acid in physiologic situations, and other toxic intermediates that greatly enhance PMN microbicidal activity.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in MPO are the cause of myeloperoxidase deficiency (MPD) [MIM:254600]. MPD is an autosomal recessive defect that results in disseminated candidiasis.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the peroxidase family. XPO subfamily.
- Information by UniProt
- 84 kDa myeloperoxidase
- 89 kDa myeloperoxidase
- EC 220.127.116.11
ab105136 has been referenced in 67 publications.
- Xiao K et al. Potential roles of vitamin D binding protein in attenuating liver injury in sepsis. Mil Med Res 9:4 (2022). PubMed: 35057868
- Liu B et al. Buformin alleviates sepsis-induced acute lung injury via inhibiting NLRP3-mediated pyroptosis through an AMPK-dependent pathway. Clin Sci (Lond) 136:273-289 (2022). PubMed: 35132999
- He W et al. Panax notoginseng attenuates hypoxia-induced glycolysis in colonic mucosal epithelial cells in DSS-induced colitis. Ann Transl Med 10:218 (2022). PubMed: 35280359
- Duan C et al. RIP3 knockdown inhibits necroptosis of human intestinal epithelial cells via TLR4/MyD88/NF-?B signaling and ameliorates murine colitis. BMC Gastroenterol 22:137 (2022). PubMed: 35346043
- ShamsEldeen AM et al. Combined Systemic Intake of K-ATP Opener (Nicorandil) and Mesenchymal Stem Cells Preconditioned With Nicorandil Alleviates Pancreatic Insufficiency in a Model of Bilateral Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury. Front Physiol 13:934597 (2022). PubMed: 35812319