Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 3 hr 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Purified mitochondria, Tissue Lysate
Product namePyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit
See all Pyruvate dehydrogenase kits
Sample typeCell culture extracts, Tissue Lysate, Purified mitochondria
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time3h 30m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mouse, Rat, Cow, Human
Pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit (ab109902) can be used to determine the activity of PDH in a human, bovine, mouse, or rat sample. The PDH enzyme is immunocaptured within the wells of the microplate and activity is determined by following the reduction of NAD+ to NADH, coupled to the reduction of a reporter dye to yield a colored reaction product with an increase in absorbance at 450 nm at room temperature. Included for performance of the activity assay are buffer, detergent, reagent mix, and a 96-well microplate with monoclonal antibody pre-bound to the wells of the plate, allowing for a stream-lined assay.
This assay is optimized for use with whole tissue extract when the amount of total material available for assay is 20-100 µg or more. If using cell extract of cultured cells 1 mg of material is required due to the very low levels of enzyme and reduced levels of mitochondria in the extract.
The PDH complex is relatively fragile and sensitive to detergent. Please follow the sample preparation steps provided in the protocol booklet. Other preparation methods may decrease PDH activity. Our Scientific Support team is happy to answer any questions about sample prep.
Review our Metabolism Assay Guide to learn about assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also about how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
Store 20X Buffer, Detergent, and Microplate at 4°C.
Store 5X Stabilizer at -20°C.
Store 20X Reagent Mix, 100X Reagent Dye and 100X Coupler at -80°C.
Storage instructionsPlease refer to protocols.
Components 96 tests 20X Buffer 1 x 15ml 20X Reagent Mix 2 x 600µl 5X Stabilizer 1 x 13ml 96-well Microplate (12 strips) 1 unit Coupler 1 x 250µl Detergent 2 x 1ml Reagent Dye 1 x 250µl
- Bovine Heart Mitochondria (ab110338)
- Rat liver tissue lysate - mitochondrial extract (ab110346)
- Rat heart tissue lysate - mitochondrial extract (ab110347)
- Rat brain tissue lysate - mitochondrial extract (ab110348)
- Mouse liver tissue lysate - mitochondrial extract (ab110349)
- Mouse heart tissue lysate - mitochondrial extract (ab110350)
- Mouse brain tissue lysate - mitochondrial extract (ab110351)
Mitochondria, tissue extracts and whole cultured cell extracts all show linear relationships between signal and sample load at limiting concentrations. The rates shown were determined as change in OD over time, and these are best represented as change in milliOD per minute.
Example of microplate reader recorded data from bovine heart mitochondria (100 µg/well) (top trace) and 2-fold dilutions (stepwise lower traces) using Pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit (ab109902).
Schematic diagram showing the reaction involved in Pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit (ab109902).
Principle of Pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) Enzyme Activity Microplate Assay Kit (ab109902)
ab109902 has been referenced in 84 publications.
- Godsman N et al. Metabolic alterations in a rat model of takotsubo syndrome. Cardiovasc Res 118:1932-1946 (2022). PubMed: 33711093
- Paruchuru LB et al. The Critical Role Played by Mitochondrial MITF Serine 73 Phosphorylation in Immunologically Activated Mast Cells. Cells 11:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35159398
- Xia H et al. Insulin action and resistance are dependent on a GSK3ß-FBXW7-ERRa transcriptional axis. Nat Commun 13:2105 (2022). PubMed: 35440636
- Kay EJ et al. Cancer-associated fibroblasts require proline synthesis by PYCR1 for the deposition of pro-tumorigenic extracellular matrix. Nat Metab 4:693-710 (2022). PubMed: 35760868
- Visavadiya NP et al. Distinct glycolytic pathway regulation in liver, tumour and skeletal muscle of mice with cancer cachexia. Cell Biochem Funct 39:802-812 (2021). PubMed: 34129243