Triglyceride Assay Kit (Fluorometric, Reducing Samples) (ab178780)
Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Fluorescent
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 1 hr
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Plasma, Saliva, Serum, Suspension cells, Tissue
- Sensitivity: 0.4 µM
Product nameTriglyceride Assay Kit (Fluorometric, Reducing Samples)
See all Triglyceride kits
Sample typeSaliva, Serum, Plasma, Tissue, Adherent cells, Suspension cells
Sensitivity< 0.4 µM
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Mammals, Other species
Triglyceride Assay Kit (ab178780) is a sensitive, easy assay to measure triglyceride concentration in mammalian samples. In this triglyceride assay protocol, triglycerides are hydrolyzed to glycerol and fatty acid. The glycerol reacts with Triglyceride Enzyme Mix to form an intermediate product which in turn reacts with the probe and developer to generate fluorescence (Ed/Em 535/587 nm). The generated fluorescence is directly proportional to the amount of triglycerides.
Triglyceride Assay Kit (Fluorometric, Reducing Samples) ab178780 is suitable for measuring triglyceride levels in samples which contain reducing substances that may interfere with oxidase-based assays such as Triglyceride Assay Kit (ab65336).
Triglyceride assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add lipase and incubate for 20 min
- add reaction mix and incubate for 30 min
- analyze with a microplate reader.
Please note: the general range is 0-10 nmol (colorimetric) and 0-1 nmol (fluorometric).
Triglycerides are the main constituent of vegetable oil, animal fat, LDL and VLDL, and play an important role as transporters of fatty acids as well as serving as an energy source. Triglycerides are broken down into fatty acids and glycerol, after which both can serve as substrates for energy producing and metabolic pathways. High blood levels of triglycerides are implicated in atherosclerosis, heart disease and stroke as well as in pancreatitis.
Review our Metabolism Assay Guide to learn about assays for metabolites, metabolic enzymes, mitochondrial function, and oxidative stress, and also about how to assay metabolic function in live cells using your plate reader.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K614 PicoProbe™ Triglyceride (TG) Fluorometric Assay Kit. K614-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab178780.
How other researchers have used Triglyceride Assay Kit ab178780
The Triglyceride assay kit has been used in publications in a variety of sample types, including:
- Human: Hepatocyte cell/cell line extract1,2
- Mouse: Plasma3, Skeletal muscle extract4, Serum5
References: 1 - Liu Q et al. 2021, 2 - Hu LK et al. 2021, 3 - Panajatovic MV et al, 4 - Panajatovic MV et al, 5 - Maier JI et al. 2021
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests Lipase Blue cap/ Clear vial 1 vial PicoProbe Blue cap/Amber vial 1 x 0.4ml Triglyceride Assay Buffer 1 x 25ml Triglyceride Developer Red 1 vial Triglyceride Enzyme Mix (lyophilized) Green 1 vial Triglyceride Standard Yellow 1 x 0.3ml
Datasheets and documents
ab178780 has been referenced in 11 publications.
- Getiye Y et al. Dysregulated lipolysis and lipophagy in lipid droplets of macrophages from high fat diet-fed obese mice. J Cell Mol Med 26:4825-4836 (2022). PubMed: 35962606
- Panajatovic MV et al. Effects of Simvastatin on Lipid Metabolism in Wild-Type Mice and Mice with Muscle PGC-1a Overexpression. Int J Mol Sci 22:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34066911
- Liu Q et al. Aged-related Function Disorder of Liver is Reversed after Exposing to Young Milieu via Conversion of Hepatocyte Ploidy. Aging Dis 12:1238-1251 (2021). PubMed: 34341705
- Hu LK et al. MicroRNA-506-3p targets SIRT1 and suppresses AMPK pathway activation to promote hepatic steatosis. Exp Ther Med 22:1430 (2021). PubMed: 34707711
- Maier JI et al. A Novel Model for Nephrotic Syndrome Reveals Associated Dysbiosis of the Gut Microbiome and Extramedullary Hematopoiesis. Cells 10:N/A (2021). PubMed: 34203913