Key features and details
- Selective blocker of the high-conductance, Ca2+-activated K+ channel
- CAS Number: 129203-60-7
- Soluble in water
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameIberiotoxin, high-conductance K+ channel blocker
DescriptionSelective blocker of the high-conductance, Ca2+-activated K+ channel
Selective blocker of the high-conductance, Ca2+-activated K+ channel. Originally isolated from the scorpion Mesobuthus tamulus. Specifically blocks KCa1.1 (Slo) channels (Ki approx. 1 nM).
SequenceXFTDVDCSVSKECWSVCKDLFGVDRGKCMGKKCRCYQ (Modifications: X-1 = Glp; Disulfide bonds: 7-28, 13-33, 17-35)
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in water
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one week. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
2D chemical structure image of ab120379, Iberiotoxin, high-conductance K+ channel blocker
HEK293 cells plated for 48 hours and then transfected with rat Slo27 for 24 hours. Currents from whole-cell recordings, with 1 µM Ca2+ in the electrode solution. Cells voltage-clamped at -80 mV, with currents activated by 500 ms depolarization to +20 mV. Concentration-inhibition relationship produces an IC50 of 412 pM.
(Number of experimental determinations shown in brackets).
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120379 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Zhang X et al. Effects of KCa channels on biological behavior of trophoblasts. Open Life Sci 17:1043-1052 (2022). PubMed: 36118166
- Luo M et al. Sanguinarine Rapidly Relaxes Rat Airway Smooth Muscle Cells Dependent on TAS2R Signaling. Biol Pharm Bull 43:1027-1034 (2020). PubMed: 32404582
- Wang M et al. Regulation of Spontaneous Contractions in Intact Rat Bladder Strips and the Effects of Hydrogen Peroxide. Biomed Res Int 2018:2925985 (2018). PubMed: 29511675
- Fleck D et al. Distinct purinergic signaling pathways in prepubescent mouse spermatogonia. J Gen Physiol 148:253-71 (2016). PubMed: 27574293
- Umatani C et al. GnRH suppresses excitability of visual processing neurons in the optic tectum. J Neurophysiol 114:2775-84 (2015). PubMed: 26354319
- Hartung H et al. Nitric oxide donors enhance the frequency dependence of dopamine release in nucleus accumbens. Neuropsychopharmacology 36:1811-22 (2011). PubMed: 21508928