Ionomycin (free acid), Ca2+ ionophore (ab120370)
Key features and details
- Ca2+ ionophore
- CAS Number: 56092-81-0
- Soluble in ethanol to 10 mM and in DMSO to 10 mM
- Form / State: Liquid
- Source: Streptomyces conglobatus
Product nameIonomycin (free acid), Ca2+ ionophore
Potent, highly selective Ca2+ ionophore. Effective mobile ion carrier for Ca2+, highly specific for divalent cations (Ca > Mg >> Sr = Ba). Useful for studies of Ca2+ transport across biological membranes and increasing intracellular Ca2+ concentrations. Complexes with Ca2+ between pH 7 and 9.5. Absorption max. (280 nm, MeOH): 18600 M-1cm-1.
Chemical name(4R,6S,8S,10Z,12R,14R,16E,18R,19R,20S,21S)-11,19,21-Trihydroxy-4,6,8,12,14,18,20-heptamethyl-22-[(2S,2'R,5S,5'S)-octahydro-5'-[(1R)-1-hydroxyethyl]-2,5'-dimethyl[2,2'-bifuran]-5-yl]-9-oxo-10,16-docosadienoic acid
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in ethanol to 10 mM and in DMSO to 10 mM
This product is supplied in one (or more) pack size which is freeze dried. Therefore the contents may not be readily visible, as they can coat the bottom or walls of the vial. Please see our FAQs and information page for more details on handling.
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
- Research Area
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Ca2+ signaling
- Ionophores, Indicators & Chelators
The Abpromise guarantee
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab120370 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
Use at an assay dependent concentration.
2D chemical structure image of ab120370, Ionomycin (free acid), Ca2+ ionophore
ab58668 staining ATF3 in A549 cells treated with ionomycin (free acid) (ab120370), by ICC/IF. Increase in ATF3 expression correlates with increased concentration of ionomycin (free acid), as described in literature.
The cells were incubated at 37°C for 2h in media containing different concentrations of ab120370 (Ionomycin (free acid)) in DMSO, fixed with 4% formaldehyde for 10 minutes at room temperature and blocked with PBS containing 10% goat serum, 0.3 M glycine, 1% BSA and 0.1% tween for 2h at room temperature. Staining of the treated cells with ab58668 (10 µg/ml) was performed overnight at 4°C in PBS containing 1% BSA and 0.1% tween. A DyLight 488 goat anti-mouse polyclonal antibody (ab96879) at 1/250 dilution was used as the secondary antibody. Nuclei were counterstained with DAPI and are shown in blue.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab120370 has been referenced in 9 publications.
- Tandl D et al. X-ray irradiation triggers immune response in human T-lymphocytes via store-operated Ca2+ entry and NFAT activation. J Gen Physiol 154:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35416945
- Astorga-Gamaza A et al. Identification of HIV-reservoir cells with reduced susceptibility to antibody-dependent immune response. Elife 11:N/A (2022). PubMed: 35616530
- Lu Q et al. SARS-CoV-2 exacerbates proinflammatory responses in myeloid cells through C-type lectin receptors and Tweety family member 2. Immunity 54:1304-1319.e9 (2021). PubMed: 34048708
- Usai C et al. The ß-NGF/TrkA Signalling Pathway Is Associated With the Production of Anti-Nucleoprotein IgG in Convalescent COVID-19. Front Immunol 12:813300 (2021). PubMed: 35095908
- Liu YJ et al. Parthenolide ameliorates colon inflammation through regulating Treg/Th17 balance in a gut microbiota-dependent manner. Theranostics 10:5225-5241 (2020). PubMed: 32373209
- Lautenschläger J et al. Intramitochondrial proteostasis is directly coupled to a-synuclein and amyloid ß1-42 pathologies. J Biol Chem 295:10138-10152 (2020). PubMed: 32385113
- Grau-Expósito J et al. A Novel Single-Cell FISH-Flow Assay Identifies Effector Memory CD4(+) T cells as a Major Niche for HIV-1 Transcription in HIV-Infected Patients. MBio 8:N/A (2017). Human . PubMed: 28698276
- Puskarjov M et al. Activity-dependent cleavage of the K-Cl cotransporter KCC2 mediated by calcium-activated protease calpain. J Neurosci 32:11356-64 (2012). PubMed: 22895718
- Weingärtner A et al. Ca2+-activated transbilayer movement of plasma membrane phospholipids in Leishmania donovani during ionomycin or thapsigargin stimulation. Mol Biochem Parasitol 179:59-68 (2011). PubMed: 21684309