Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay time: 1 hr 30 min
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts
- Sensitivity: 0.5 µg
Product nameBCA Protein Assay Kit
See all BCA Protein kits
Sample typeSerum, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
Sensitivity> 0.5 µg
Range0.5 µg - 30 µg
Assay time1h 30m
BCA Protein Assay Kit ab102536 provides a simple, rapid, detergent tolerant (up to 5%) procedure for determining the concentration of proteins in solution.
The method utilizes a copper (Cu2+) salt which can be reduced to the cuprous state by protein(s).
The generated Cu+ ion forms an intensely colored complex with the bicinchoninic acid reagent with a very strong absorbance band centered at 562 nm.
The intensity of the blue complex is proportional to the amount of protein in the sample. The BCA Protein Assay is suitable for measuring protein concentration in the range of 0.5-30 µg protein (0.01-0.6 mg/ml).
Support on how to determine protein concentration can be found here.
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K812 BCA Protein Quantitation Kit. K812-1000 is the same size as the 1000 test size of ab102536.
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 1000 tests BCA Reagent NM 1 x 100ml BSA Standard Yellow 1 x 1ml Copper Reagent Blue 1 x 2ml
RelevanceThe BCA Protein assay (or Smith assay) is a biochemical assay for determining the total level of protein in a solution. The total protein concentration is determined by measuring the color change of the sample solution from green to purple which is proportional to the protein concentration.
- Bicinchoninic acid
- Bicinchoninic acid protein
ab102536 has been referenced in 136 publications.
- Xu J et al. Carvedilol alleviates lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced acute lung injury by inhibiting Ras homolog family member A (RhoA)/ROCK activities. Bioengineered 13:4137-4145 (2022). PubMed: 35188451
- Liu M et al. miR-197 Participates in Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Cardiomyocyte Injury by Modulating SIRT1. Cardiol Res Pract 2022:7687154 (2022). PubMed: 35223094
- Yao D et al. circHIPK3 regulates cell proliferation and migration by sponging microRNA-124 and regulating serine/threonine kinase 3 expression in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Bioengineered 13:9767-9780 (2022). PubMed: 35443871
- Chen X et al. Circ_0014359 promotes oral squamous cell carcinoma progression by sponging miR-149. Acta Biochim Pol 69:315-320 (2022). PubMed: 35612554
- Chi A et al. ICA II Alleviates Testicular Torsion Injury by Dampening the Oxidative and Inflammatory Stress. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 13:871548 (2022). PubMed: 35634492