Key features and details
- One-wash 90 minute protocol
- Sensitivity: 27.7 pg/ml
- Range: 125 pg/ml - 8000 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman alpha SMA ELISA Kit
See all alpha smooth muscle Actin kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% colon 8 5.5% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% colon 3 9%
Sample typeCell culture extracts, Tissue Extracts
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Range125 pg/ml - 8000 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Tissue Extracts 102 93% - 108%
Assay time1h 30m
Assay durationOne step assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Human alpha SMA ELISA Kit (ab240678) is a single-wash 90 min sandwich ELISA designed for the quantitative measurement of alpha SMA protein in tissue extracts and cell culture extracts. It uses our proprietary SimpleStep ELISA® technology. Quantitate Human alpha SMA with 27.7 pg/ml sensitivity.
SimpleStep ELISA® technology employs capture antibodies conjugated to an affinity tag that is recognized by the monoclonal antibody used to coat our SimpleStep ELISA® plates. This approach to sandwich ELISA allows the formation of the antibody-analyte sandwich complex in a single step, significantly reducing assay time. See the SimpleStep ELISA® protocol summary in the image section for further details. Our SimpleStep ELISA® technology provides several benefits:
- Single-wash protocol reduces assay time to 90 minutes or less
- High sensitivity, specificity and reproducibility from superior antibodies
- Fully validated in biological samples
- 96-wells plate breakable into 12 x 8 wells strips
A 384-well SimpleStep ELISA® microplate (ab203359) is available to use as an alternative to the 96-well microplate provided with SimpleStep ELISA® kits.
Actin proteins have very high homology. The immunogen for this product is based on the ACTA2 protein. There is a chance that this product will detect other actin family members. The cross reactivity has not been experimentally determined.
Abcam has not and does not intend to apply for the REACH Authorisation of customers’ uses of products that contain European Authorisation list (Annex XIV) substances.
It is the responsibility of our customers to check the necessity of application of REACH Authorisation, and any other relevant authorisations, for their intended uses.
PlatformPre-coated microplate (12 x 8 well strips)
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 10 x 96 tests 10X Human alpha SMA Capture Antibody 1 x 600µl 10 x 600µl 10X Human alpha SMA Detector Antibody 1 x 600µl 10 x 600µl 10X Wash Buffer PT (ab206977) 1 x 20ml 1 x 200ml 50X Cell Extraction Enhancer Solution (ab193971) 1 x 1ml 10 x 1ml 5X Cell Extraction Buffer PTR (ab193970) 1 x 10ml 2 x 50ml Antibody Diluent 5BI 1 x 6ml 10 x 6ml Human alpha SMA Lyophilized Recombinant Protein 2 vials 10 x 2 vials Plate Seals 1 unit 10 vials Sample Diluent NS (ab193972) 1 x 12ml 0 x 0ml SimpleStep Pre-Coated 96-Well Microplate (ab206978) 1 unit 10 x 1ml Stop Solution 1 x 12ml 1 x 120ml TMB Development Solution 1 x 12ml 1 x 120ml
FunctionActins are highly conserved proteins that are involved in various types of cell motility and are ubiquitously expressed in all eukaryotic cells.
Involvement in diseaseDefects in ACTA2 are the cause of aortic aneurysm familial thoracic type 6 (AAT6) [MIM:611788]. AATs are characterized by permanent dilation of the thoracic aorta usually due to degenerative changes in the aortic wall. They are primarily associated with a characteristic histologic appearance known as 'medial necrosis' or 'Erdheim cystic medial necrosis' in which there is degeneration and fragmentation of elastic fibers, loss of smooth muscle cells, and an accumulation of basophilic ground substance.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the actin family.
Cellular localizationCytoplasm > cytoskeleton.
- Information by UniProt
- a actin
SimpleStep ELISA technology allows the formation of the antibody-antigen complex in one single step, reducing assay time to 90 minutes. Add samples or standards and antibody mix to wells all at once, incubate, wash, and add your final substrate. See protocol for a detailed step-by-step guide.
The alpha SMA standard curve was prepared as described in Section 10. Raw data values are shown in the table. Background-subtracted data values (mean +/- SD) are graphed.
The concentrations of alpha SMA were measured in duplicate and interpolated from the alpha SMA standard curve and corrected for sample dilution. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean alpha SMA concentration was determined to be 6,915 pg/mL in human colon tissue extract.
To learn more about the advantages of recombinant antibodies see here.
ab240678 has been referenced in 4 publications.
- Fan Z et al. Anisotropic silk nanofiber layers as regulators of angiogenesis for optimized bone regeneration. Mater Today Bio 15:100283 (2022). PubMed: 35634170
- Chen YH et al. Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Derived Exosomes Induced by IL-1ß Attenuate Urethral Stricture Through Let-7c/PAK1/NF-?B-Regulated Macrophage M2 Polarization. J Inflamm Res 14:3217-3229 (2021). PubMed: 34285545
- Wang Y et al. YAP1 promotes high glucose-induced inflammation and extracellular matrix deposition in glomerular mesangial cells by modulating NF-κB/JMJD3 pathway. Exp Ther Med 22:1349 (2021). PubMed: 34659495
- Cao L et al. LncRNA PVT1 Suppresses the Progression of Renal Fibrosis via Inactivation of TGF-ß Signaling Pathway. Drug Des Devel Ther 14:3547-3557 (2020). PubMed: 32921988