Key features and details
- One-wash 90 minute protocol
- Sensitivity: 3.3 pg/ml
- Range: 31.25 pg/ml - 2000 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cit plasma, EDTA Plasma, Hep Plasma, Milk, Serum
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Human
Product nameHuman FGF21 ELISA Kit
See all FGF21 kits
Intra-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Serum 8 5.3% Inter-assay Sample n Mean SD CV% Serum 3 5.5%
Sample typeMilk, Serum, Hep Plasma, EDTA Plasma, Cit plasma
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Range31.25 pg/ml - 2000 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Milk 108 107% - 110% Serum 93 86% - 104% Hep Plasma 91 90% - 93% EDTA Plasma 92 85% - 97% Cit plasma 74 72% - 77%
Assay time1h 30m
Assay durationOne step assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Human
Human FGF21 ELISA Kit (ab222506) is a single-wash 90 min sandwich ELISA designed for the quantitative measurement of FGF21 protein in cit plasma, edta plasma, hep plasma, milk, and serum. It uses our proprietary SimpleStep ELISA® technology. Quantitate Human FGF21 with 3.3 pg/ml sensitivity.
SimpleStep ELISA® technology employs capture antibodies conjugated to an affinity tag that is recognized by the monoclonal antibody used to coat our SimpleStep ELISA® plates. This approach to sandwich ELISA allows the formation of the antibody-analyte sandwich complex in a single step, significantly reducing assay time. See the SimpleStep ELISA® protocol summary in the image section for further details. Our SimpleStep ELISA® technology provides several benefits:
- Single-wash protocol reduces assay time to 90 minutes or less
- High sensitivity, specificity and reproducibility from superior antibodies
- Fully validated in biological samples
- 96-wells plate breakable into 12 x 8 wells strips
A 384-well SimpleStep ELISA® microplate (ab203359) is available to use as an alternative to the 96-well microplate provided with SimpleStep ELISA® kits.
This kit recognizes both native and recombinant human FGF-21 protein in serum, plasma, and milk.
Cell culture extract samples have not been tested with this kit.
CROSS REACTIVITY Recombinant mouse FGF-21 and rat FGF-21 were prepared at 2,000 pg/mL and assayed for cross reactivity. No cross-reactivity was observed with mouse FGF-21. 2,000 pg /mL of rat FGF-21 was interpolated as 867 pg/mL against the human FGF-21 standard.
SPECIES REACTIVITY This kit recognizes human FGF-21 protein. Other species reactivity was determined by measuring neat serum samples of various species, interpolating the protein concentrations from the human standard curve, and expressing the interpolated concentrations as a percentage of the protein concentration in human serum assayed at the same dilution. Reactivity < 3% was determined for mouse. Reactivity of > 3% was determined for Rat and Cow.
FGF-21, or Fibroblast growth factor 21, is a member of the fibroblast growth factor family encoded by the gene FGF21. FGF-21 helps regulate glucose homeostasis by mediating liver signaling to the brain by inducing phosphorylation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase extracellular signal-related kinase 1. FGF-21 is principally expressed in the liver in response to fasting, where it mediates several metabolic responses such as ketogenesis, hepatic fatty acid oxidation, and resistance to growth hormones. In addition, it is involved with embryonic development, cell growth, morphogenesis, and tissue repair. Serum levels of FGF-21 have been found to be elevated in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, and higher levels of FGF-21 also correlate with higher liver fat content.
PlatformPre-coated microplate (12 x 8 well strips)
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 10 x 96 tests 10X Human FGF-21 Capture Antibody 1 x 600µl 1 x 6000µl 10X Human FGF-21 Detector Antibody 1 x 600µl 1 x 6000µl 10X Wash Buffer PT (ab206977) 1 x 20ml 1 x 200ml Antibody Diluent 5BI 1 x 6ml 10 x 6ml Human FGF-21 Lyophilized Recombinant Protein 2 vials 2 x 10 vials Plate Seals 1 unit 1 x 10 units Sample Diluent NS (ab193972) 1 x 50ml 2 x 250ml SimpleStep Pre-Coated 96-Well Microplate (ab206978) 1 unit 1 x 10 units Stop Solution 1 x 12ml 1 x 120ml TMB Development Solution 1 x 12ml 1 x 120ml
FunctionStimulates glucose uptake in differentiated adipocytes via the induction of glucose transporter SLC2A1/GLUT1 expression (but not SLC2A4/GLUT4 expression). Activity requires the presence of KLB.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the heparin-binding growth factors family.
- Information by UniProt
- FGF 21
SimpleStep ELISA technology allows the formation of the antibody-antigen complex in one single step, reducing assay time to 90 minutes. Add samples or standards and antibody mix to wells all at once, incubate, wash, and add your final substrate. See protocol for a detailed step-by-step guide.
Background-subtracted data values (mean +/- SD) are graphed
Example of human FGF-21 standard curve in Sample Diluent NS. The FGF-21 standard curve was prepared as described. Raw data values are shown in the table. Background-subtracted data values (mean +/- SD) are graphed.
The concentrations of FGF-21 were measured in duplicates, interpolated from the FGF-21 standard curves and corrected for sample dilution. Undiluted samples are as follows: serum 100%, plasma (citrate) 100%, plasma (EDTA) 100%, and plasma (heparin) 100%. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean FGF-21 concentration was determined to be 657 pg/mL in neat serum, 772 pg/mL in neat plasma (citrate), 289 pg/mL in neat plasma (EDTA), and 711 pg/mL in neat plasma (heparin).
The concentrations of FGF-21 was measured in duplicates, interpolated from the FGF-21 standard curves and corrected for sample dilution. Undiluted samples are as follows: milk 12.5%. The interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2).
Interpolated dilution factor corrected values are plotted (mean +/- SD, n=2). The mean FGF-21 concentration was determined to be 413 pg/mL with a range of 59.4 – 1,537 pg/mL.
Linearity of dilution is determined based on interpolated values from the standard curve. Linearity of dilution defines a sample concentration interval in which interpolated target concentrations are directly proportional to sample dilution.
Native human FGF-21 was measured in serum and plasma samples in a 2-fold dilution series. Sample dilutions are made in Sample Diluent NS for serum and plasma samples.
Recombinant human FGF-21 was spiked into EDTA plasma samples and diluted in a 2-fold dilution series in Sample Diluent NS.
Recombinant human FGF-21 was spiked into human milk sample and diluted in a 2-fold dilution series in Sample Diluent NS.
To learn more about the advantages of recombinant antibodies see here.
To learn more about the advantages of SimpleStep ELISA® kits see here.
ab222506 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Bian J et al. Relationship between Serum FGF21 and vWF Expression and Carotid Atherosclerosis in Elderly Patients with Hypertension. J Healthc Eng 2022:6777771 (2022). PubMed: 35242298
- Ajaz S et al. Mitochondrial metabolic manipulation by SARS-CoV-2 in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with COVID-19. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 320:C57-C65 (2021). PubMed: 33151090
- Jin S et al. Association between serum fibroblast growth factor 21 level and sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes. BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care 9:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33789910
- Wang Z et al. FGF21 Serum Levels in the Early Second Trimester Are Positively Correlated With the Risk of Subsequent Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: A Propensity-Matched Nested Case-Control Study. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 12:630287 (2021). PubMed: 33995273
- Feng E et al. Inhibition of HMGB1 Might Enhance the Protective Effect of Taxifolin in Cardiomyocytes via PI3K/AKT Signaling Pathway. Iran J Pharm Res 20:316-332 (2021). PubMed: 34567165
- Ji F et al. KLB gene polymorphism is associated with obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in the Han Chinese. Aging (Albany NY) 11:7847-7858 (2019). PubMed: 31548436