Key features and details
- Sensitivity: 30 pg/ml
- Range: 40.96 pg/ml - 10000 pg/ml
- Sample type: Cell culture supernatant, Plasma
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay type: Sandwich (quantitative)
- Reacts with: Rat
Product nameRat IL-6 ELISA Kit
See all IL-6 kits
Sample typeCell culture supernatant, Plasma
Assay typeSandwich (quantitative)
Sensitivity< 30 pg/ml
Range40.96 pg/ml - 10000 pg/ml
Sample specific recovery Sample type Average % Range Cell culture supernatant 130.2 118% - 138% Plasma 122.8 109% - 138%
Assay durationMultiple steps standard assay
Species reactivityReacts with: Rat
Abcam’s IL-6 Rat ELISA (Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay) kit is designed for the quantitative measurement of rat IL-6 in plasma or cell culture supernatants.
This assay employs an antibody specific for Rat IL-6 coated on a 96- well plate. Standards and samples are pipetted into the wells and IL-6 present in a sample is bound to the wells by the immobilized antibody. The wells are washed and biotinylated anti-Rat IL-6 antibody is added. After washing away unbound biotinylated antibody, HRP-conjugated streptavidin is pipetted to the wells. The wells are again washed, a TMB substrate solution is added to the wells and color develops in proportion to the amount of IL-6 bound. The Stop Solution changes the color from blue to yellow, and the intensity of the color is measured at 450 nm.
Due to the relatively low abundance of IL-6 in normal rat plasma, this kit may not be suitable for use with this sample type. We have not been able to detect endogenous Rat IL-6 in normal serum with ab100772, only in serum spiked with Rat IL-6.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1 x 96 tests 20X Wash Buffer 1 x 25ml 400X HRP-Streptavidin Concentrate 1 x 200µl 5X Assay Diluent B 1 x 15ml Assay Diluent C 1 x 30ml Biotinylated anti-Rat IL-6 2 vials IL-6 Microplate (12 x 8 wells) 1 unit Recombinant Rat IL-6 Standard (lyophilized) 2 vials Stop Solution 1 x 8ml TMB One-Step Substrate Reagent 1 x 12ml
FunctionCytokine with a wide variety of biological functions. It is a potent inducer of the acute phase response. Plays an essential role in the final differentiation of B-cells into Ig-secreting cells Involved in lymphocyte and monocyte differentiation. It induces myeloma and plasmacytoma growth and induces nerve cells differentiation Acts on B-cells, T-cells, hepatocytes, hematopoeitic progenitor cells and cells of the CNS. Also acts as a myokine. It is discharged into the bloodstream after muscle contraction and acts to increase the breakdown of fats and to improve insulin resistance.
Involvement in diseaseGenetic variations in IL6 are associated with susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis systemic juvenile (RASJ) [MIM:604302]. An inflammatory articular disorder with systemic-onset beginning before the age of 16. It represents a subgroup of juvenile arthritis associated with severe extraarticular features and occasionally fatal complications. During active phases of the disorder, patients display a typical daily spiking fever, an evanescent macular rash, lymphadenopathy, hepatosplenomegaly, serositis, myalgia and arthritis.
Note=A IL6 promoter polymorphism is associated with a lifetime risk of development of Kaposi sarcoma in HIV-infected men.
Sequence similaritiesBelongs to the IL-6 superfamily.
modificationsN- and O-glycosylated.
- Information by UniProt
- Interleukin BSF 2
- B cell differentiation factor
- B cell stimulatory factor 2
ab100772 has been referenced in 94 publications.
- Walladbegi J et al. Moderate temperature reduction is sufficient for prevention of 5-fluorouracil-induced oral mucositis: an experimental in vivo study in rats. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 91:67-75 (2023). PubMed: 36451020
- Potter HG et al. Maternal behaviours and adult offspring behavioural deficits are predicted by maternal TNFα concentration in a rat model of neurodevelopmental disorders. Brain Behav Immun 108:162-175 (2023). PubMed: 36503051
- El Gazzar WB et al. Pioglitazone modulates immune activation and ameliorates inflammation induced by injured renal tubular epithelial cells via PPARγ/miRNA‑124/STAT3 signaling. Biomed Rep 18:2 (2023). PubMed: 36544854
- Guo Y et al. Treadmill Exercise Prevents Cognitive Impairments in Adolescent Intermittent Ethanol Rats by Reducing the Excessive Activation of Microglia Cell in the Hippocampus. Int J Mol Sci 23:N/A (2022). PubMed: 36499029
- Kwon JH et al. Intravenous iron injection does not impair liver function in a rat model of cirrhosis. Ann Palliat Med 11:1687-1699 (2022). PubMed: 35016521