Product namePropidium Iodide
Propidium Iodide (PI) binds to double-stranded DNA. PI cannot cross intact plasma membrane and therefore will only be present in DNA of cells where the plasma membrane has been compromised/ permeabilized.
For Microscopy analysis: PI can be viewed using rhodamine(red) filter (?= 536/617). Cells will only be stained if the membrane has been permeated, either naturally (non-viable cells) or with detergents (for fluorescent staining).
Flow Cytometry analysis: PI staining can be monitored in FL2 (DNA content) or FL3 (viability) channel.
Visit our FAQs page for tips and troubleshooting.
Tested applicationsSuitable for: FMmore details
Storage instructionsStore at +4°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 1 ml Propidium Iodide (1mg/ml) ab14083 1 x 1ml
RelevancePropidium Iodide (PI) (MW=668.4 Da) is an intercalating agent and a fluorescent molecule which is membrane impermeant and generally excluded from viable cells. Upon entering cells, PI will bind to DNA and RNA by intercalating between bases. Once bound to the nucleic acids, its fluorescence is enhanced 20- to 30-fold. Exmax= 536nm / Emmax= 617 nm.
- FCCP (ab120081)
- Cycloheximide (ab120093)
- SB431542 (ab120163)
- Z-VAD(OH)-FMK (ab120382)
- Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK (ab120487)
- Doxorubicin hydrochloride (ab120629)
- Dorsomorphin (Compound C) (ab120843)
- Annexin V-FITC Apoptosis Detection Reagent (500X) (ab14082)
- 10X Annexin V Binding Buffer (ab14084)
- Annexin V-FITC Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14085)
- Annexin V-Cy3 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14142)
- Calcein AM (ab141420)
- Annexin V-Cy3 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14143)
- Annexin V-Cy3 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit with SYTOX (ab14144)
- Annexin V-Cy5 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14147)
- Annexin V-Cy5 Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14150)
- Annexin V-EGFP Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14153)
- Annexin V-PE Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14154)
- Annexin V-PE Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14155)
- Annexin V-Biotin Apoptosis Staining / Detection Reagent (ab14165)
- Annexin V-Biotin Apoptosis Staining / Detection Kit (ab14190)
- Annexin V Unlabeled Apoptosis Reagent (ab14193)
Our Abpromise guarantee covers the use of ab14083 in the following tested applications.
The application notes include recommended starting dilutions; optimal dilutions/concentrations should be determined by the end user.
|FM||Use at an assay dependent concentration.|
Wang et al. used ab14083 to investigate an optimized platform for maintaining proliferation of giant panda mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). MSCs were fixed in 70% alcohol and 30% PBS at 4°C for 1 hour. Cells are then incubated in the dark with PBS, 20µg/ml propidium iodide (ab14083) and 1% RNaseA for 30 minutes at 37°C. Cell samples are resuspended in PBS and analyzed using FACS Calibur flow cytometry.
Flow cytometry analysis shows the cells are at different cell cycle stages in different concentrations (0ng/ml and 5ng/ml respectively) of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF).
Vero-DogSLAM (VDS) cells and Vero (African Green Monkey kidney) cells were infected with wtCDV. Cells were fixed, permeabilised and stained with SSPE serum and rabbit anti-human FITC; nuclei were stained using ab14083 propidium iodide. Images were taken using a Nikon Eclipse TE2000-U UV microscope (x400).
This product has been referenced in:
- Sun YC et al. The role of autophagy during murine primordial follicle assembly. Aging (Albany NY) 10:197-211 (2018). Read more (PubMed: 29410391) »
- Jia X et al. Potential tumor suppressing role of microRNA-545 in epithelial ovarian cancer. Oncol Lett 15:6386-6392 (2018). Read more (PubMed: 29616112) »