Key features and details
- Assay type: Quantitative
- Detection method: Colorimetric/Fluorometric
- Platform: Microplate reader
- Assay time: 40 min
- Sample type: Cell culture extracts, Other biological fluids, Plasma, Serum, Tissue Extracts, Urine
- Sensitivity: 1 µM
Product namePyruvate Assay Kit
Sample typeUrine, Serum, Plasma, Cell culture extracts, Other biological fluids, Tissue Extracts
Sensitivity> 1 µM
Range1 µM - 200 µM
Assay time0h 40m
Pyruvate Assay Kit (Colorimetric/Fluorometric) ab65342 provides a simple, direct and automation-ready procedure for measuring pyruvate concentration in various biological samples such as blood, cells, culture and fermentation media, etc.
In the pyruvate assay protocol, pyruvate is oxidized by pyruvate oxidase via enzyme reactions to generate color (λ= 570 nm) and fluorescence (at Ex/Em = 535/587 nm). Since the color or fluorescence intensity is proportional to pyruvate content, the pyruvate concentration can be accurately measured.
The kit detects 1-200 µM pyruvate.
Pyruvate assay protocol summary:
- add samples and standards to wells
- add reaction mix and incubate for 30 min at room temp
- analyze with microplate reader
This product is manufactured by BioVision, an Abcam company and was previously called K609 Pyruvate Colorimetric/Fluorometric Assay Kit. K609-100 is the same size as the 100 test size of ab65342.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components Identifier 100 tests 2000 tests Pyruvate Assay Buffer WM 1 x 25ml 20 x 25ml Pyruvate Enzyme Mix (Lyophilized) Green 1 vial 20 vials Pyruvate Probe (in DMSO) Red 1 x 200µl 20 x 200µl Pyruvate Standard (100 nmol/µl) Yellow 1 x 100µl 20 x 100µl
RelevancePyruvate is a key intersection molecule in the netwrok of metabolic pathways. Pyruvate can be made from glucose through glycolysism converted back to carbohydrates via gluconeogenesis, or to fatty acids or energy via acetyl CoA. It can also be used to construct the amino acid alanine and be converted to ethanol. Glucose is converted to pyruvate which is then converted into acetyl CoA, the main input for the citric acid cycle (TCA). If insufficent oxygen is available, pyruvate breaks down anaerobically, creating lactate in animals and ethanol in plants and microorganisms.
Pyruvate levels under manganese stress and iron supplementation were measured with ab65342 and the results were plotted as a function of normalized absorbance at 450 nm per milligram of cellular proteins.
Pyruvate measured fluorometrically in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per mln of tested cells
Pyruvate measured fluorometrically in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per mL of tested sample
Pyruvate measured colourimetrically in biological fluids showing quantity (nmol) per mL of tested sample
Pyruvate colorimetric standard curve.
Pyruvate fluorometric standard curve.
ab65342 has been referenced in 40 publications.
- Christofi M et al. Low-dose 2-deoxy glucose stabilises tolerogenic dendritic cells and generates potent in vivo immunosuppressive effects. Cell Mol Life Sci 78:2857-2876 (2021). PubMed: 33074350
- Jin X et al. Long non-coding RNA MSC-AS1 facilitates the proliferation and glycolysis of gastric cancer cells by regulating PFKFB3 expression. Int J Med Sci 18:546-554 (2021). PubMed: 33390824
- Jiang L et al. Salmonella Typhimurium reprograms macrophage metabolism via T3SS effector SopE2 to promote intracellular replication and virulence. Nat Commun 12:879 (2021). PubMed: 33563986
- Möller J et al. Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex related to lactate switch in CHO cells. Eng Life Sci 21:100-114 (2021). PubMed: 33716610
- Jacinto S et al. MPV17 Mutations Are Associated With a Quiescent Energetic Metabolic Profile. Front Cell Neurosci 15:641264 (2021). PubMed: 33815063