Product name(R)-Sulforaphane, Ah receptor antagonist
DescriptionNon-competitive antagonist of the Ah receptor
Biological descriptionNon-competitive antagonist of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor. Natural isothiocyanate. Antioxidant, promotes cell proliferation, reduces senescence and apoptosis. Upregulates CYP1A1/1B1 apoprotein levels in vivo. Chemopreventive. S-Sulforaphane (ab141970) and R,S-Sulforaphane (ab141969) also available.
ab141971 is a neat liquid at room temperature. It is not dissolved in solvent. We measure this material by weight, not by volume. In small quantities (<50mg) this material will coat the sides of the ampoule and may appear to be invisible. Furthermore, the material may become trapped in the tip of the ampoule. The material simply needs to be washed out of the upper and lower parts of the ampoule with solvent to ensure you have gotten it all.
Solubility - ethanol, DMSO, methanol, ethyl acetate, and water.
1. For your protection, wear safety gloves and other appropriate safety equipment.
2. Inspect the ampoule to ensure it isn’t broken. If it is broken, please contact us for a replacement.
3. Wrap a towel around the ampoule to shield yourself from glass shards.
4. Using both hands, gently snap the ampoule along the pre-scored line. Be careful not to splash the compound out of the ampoule.
5. Wash both the top and bottom parts of the ampoule out with solvent to ensure you get all of the material out of the ampoule.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in DMSO, ethanol or water
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
This product has been referenced in:
- Zanichelli F et al. Dose-dependent effects of R-sulforaphane isothiocyanate on the biology of human mesenchymal stem cells, at dietary amounts, it promotes cell proliferation and reduces senescence and apoptosis, while at anti-cancer drug doses, it has a cytotoxic effect. Age (Dordr) 34:281-93 (2012). Read more (PubMed: 21465338) »
- Abdull Razis AF et al. The natural chemopreventive phytochemical R-sulforaphane is a far more potent inducer of the carcinogen-detoxifying enzyme systems in rat liver and lung than the S-isomer. Int J Cancer 128:2775-82 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 20726001) »
- Abdull Razis AF et al. Induction of epoxide hydrolase and glucuronosyl transferase by isothiocyanates and intact glucosinolates in precision-cut rat liver slices: importance of side-chain substituent and chirality. Arch Toxicol 85:919-27 (2011). Read more (PubMed: 21132492) »