Product nameResazurin Assay Kit - Cell Cytotoxicity (Fluorometric)
See all Cell Cytotoxicity kits
Sample typeAdherent cells, Suspension cells
Assay time1h 00m
Species reactivityReacts with: Other species, Mammals
Resazurin Assay Kit ab112119 (Cell Cytotoxicity, Fluorometric) ab112119 provides a fast, simple, accurate and homogeneous assay for the fluorometric detection of viable cells.
The resazurin assay protocol is based on the reduction of oxidized non-fluorescent blue resazurin to a red fluorescent dye (resorufin) by the mitochondrial respiratory chain in live cells. The amount of resorufin produced is directly proportional to the number of living cells. Resorufin has Ex/Em of 530-560 / 590 nm.
The resazurin assay is very commonly used to quantify the numbers of live cells, and monitor cell viability / cytotoxicity.
ab112119 is more sensitive for cell proliferation and cytotoxicity than other assays such as MTT. The kit components are stable and have minimal cytotoxicity, thus a longer incubation time (such as 24-48 hours) is possible if required.
Resazurin assay protocol summary:
- add assay solution to cells in 96 or 384 well plates and shake gently for 30 sec
- incubate for 1-24 hr at 37ºC
- analyze with microplate reader
ab112119 should be stored desiccated
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Components 1000 tests Assay Solution 1 x 20ml
- Cell Cytotoxicity Assay Kit (Colorimetric) (ab112118)
- FCCP, mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation uncoupler (ab120081)
- Cycloheximide, Protein synthesis inhibitor (ab120093)
- SB431542, ALK inhibitor (ab120163)
- Z-VAD(OH)-FMK, Irreversible general caspase inhibitor (ab120382)
- Z-VAD(OMe)-FMK, Cell permeable, irreversible pan-caspase inhibitor (ab120487)
- Doxorubicin hydrochloride, Topoisomerase II inhibitor (ab120629)
- Dorsomorphin (Compound C), AMP-kinase inhibitor (ab120843)
- Calcein AM, fluorescent dye for cell viability (ab141420)
CHO-K1 cell number response was measured with ab112119. CHO-K1 cells at 0 to 10,000 cells/well/100 µL were seeded overnight in a black wall/clear bottom 96-well plate. The cells were incubated with 20 µL/well of Assay Solution for 3 hours at 37 °C. The absorbance intensity was measured at 570 nm and 605 nm. The fluorescence intensity was linear (R2 = 0.998) to the cell number as indicated. The detection limit from the blank controls was 60 cells/well (n=6).
ab112119 has been referenced in 1 publication.
- Saayman SM et al. Potent and Targeted Activation of Latent HIV-1 Using the CRISPR/dCas9 Activator Complex. Mol Ther 24:488-98 (2016). PubMed: 26581162