Key features and details
- Mitochondrial electron transport chain complex I inhibitor. Potent NADH oxidation inhibitor.
- CAS Number: 83-79-4
- Purity: > 97%
- Soluble in ethanol to 5 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM
- Form / State: Solid
- Source: Synthetic
Product nameRotenone, mitochondrial electron transport chain inhibitor
DescriptionMitochondrial electron transport chain complex I inhibitor. Potent NADH oxidation inhibitor.
Mitochondrial electron transport chain complex I inhibitor (IC50 values are 1.7 - 2.2 µM). Potent NADH oxidation inhibitor (IC50 = 3.4 nM). Suppresses microtubule assembly. Induces BRL cell apoptosis. Shows antiproliferative effects. Shows central effects. Induces parkinsonian behavior in vivo.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Store under desiccating conditions. The product can be stored for up to 12 months.
Solubility overviewSoluble in ethanol to 5 mM and in DMSO to 100 mM
Wherever possible, you should prepare and use solutions on the same day. However, if you need to make up stock solutions in advance, we recommend that you store the solution as aliquots in tightly sealed vials at -20°C. Generally, these will be useable for up to one month. Before use, and prior to opening the vial we recommend that you allow your product to equilibrate to room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Toxic, refer to SDS for further information.
Need more advice on solubility, usage and handling? Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page for more details.
To our knowledge, customised protocols are not required for this product. Please try the standard protocols listed below and let us know how you get on.
ab143145 has been referenced in 6 publications.
- Alexander RK et al. Bmal1 integrates mitochondrial metabolism and macrophage activation. Elife 9:N/A (2020). PubMed: 32396064
- Zachari M et al. Selective Autophagy of Mitochondria on a Ubiquitin-Endoplasmic-Reticulum Platform. Dev Cell 50:627-643.e5 (2019). PubMed: 31353311
- Chatterjee N et al. Synthetic Essentiality of Metabolic Regulator PDHK1 in PTEN-Deficient Cells and Cancers. Cell Rep 28:2317-2330.e8 (2019). PubMed: 31461649
- Zhou K et al. VDAC2 interacts with PFKP to regulate glucose metabolism and phenotypic reprogramming of glioma stem cells. Cell Death Dis 9:988 (2018). PubMed: 30250190
- Nakamura-Ishizu A et al. Thrombopoietin Metabolically Primes Hematopoietic Stem Cells to Megakaryocyte-Lineage Differentiation. Cell Rep 25:1772-1785.e6 (2018). PubMed: 30428347
- Okamoto A et al. The antioxidant N-acetyl cysteine suppresses lidocaine-induced intracellular reactive oxygen species production and cell death in neuronal SH-SY5Y cells. BMC Anesthesiol 16:104 (2016). PubMed: 27776485