Key features and details
- Assay type: Enzyme activity
- Detection method: Colorimetric
- Assay time: 1 hr 10 min
- Sample type: Adherent cells, Tissue
Product nameSenescence Detection Kit
See all Senescence-associated beta Galactosidase kits
Sample typeTissue, Adherent cells
Assay typeEnzyme activity
Assay time1h 10m
Senescence Detection Kit (ab65351) is designed to histochemically detect SA-beta-Gal activity in cultured cells and tissue sections, a known characteristic of senescent cells. The SA-beta-Gal is present only in senescent cells and is not found in presenescent, quiescent or immortal cells.
See Senescence Assay Kit ab228562 to detect beta galactosidase activity in senescent cells by flow cytometry.
Senescence assay protocol summary:
- wash cells / sections with PBS
- fix with fixative solution for 10 min
- wash with PBS
- incubate in staining solution mix for 1 hr
- analyze staining with a microscope
Senescence is thought to be a tumor suppressive mechanism and an underlying cause of aging. Senescence represents an arrested state in which the cells remain viable, but not stimulated to divide by serum or passage in culture. Senescent cells display increase of cell size, senescence-associated expression of beta-galactosidase (SA-beta-Gal) activity, and altered patterns of gene expression.
Storage instructionsStore at -20°C. Please refer to protocols.
Storage bufferPreservative: None
Components Identifier 250 tests 100X Staining Supplement Red 1 x 1.5ml 1X Fixative Solution NM 1 x 125ml 1X Staining Solution WM 1 x 125ml X-Gal (150 mg, lyophilized) Green 1 vial
RelevanceCellular senescence is a growth-arrest program by which normal diploid cells lose the ability to divide, and it plays a critical role in regulating lifespan both in vivo and in vitro. Cellular senescence occurs as reflection of organism aging and in response to internal and external stress signals.
Senescence-associated beta-galactosidase staining at the 2nd(A), 4th(B), 8th(C), 12th passage in vitro expansion. Cells were plated at a density of 10,000 cells/cm2 for 24h before staining. Five representative images (100x) were taken from diverse areas of cell culture, using phase-contrast microscopy to assess the number of positive cells.
Image obtained from Angelucci S et al; Proteome Sci, 2010 Mar 26;8:18
ab65351 has been referenced in 74 publications.
- Niklander SE et al. The role of icIL-1RA in keratinocyte senescence and development of the senescence-associated secretory phenotype. J Cell Sci 134:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33526711
- Kaur A et al. WNT inhibition creates a BRCA-like state in Wnt-addicted cancer. EMBO Mol Med 13:e13349 (2021). PubMed: 33660437
- Gao P et al. MKL1 cooperates with p38MAPK to promote vascular senescence, inflammation, and abdominal aortic aneurysm. Redox Biol 41:101903 (2021). PubMed: 33667992
- Belmans N et al. In vitro Assessment of the DNA Damage Response in Dental Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Following Low Dose X-ray Exposure. Front Public Health 9:584484 (2021). PubMed: 33692980
- Vannini E et al. CTX-CNF1 Recombinant Protein Selectively Targets Glioma Cells In Vivo. Toxins (Basel) 13:N/A (2021). PubMed: 33800135